Gay Students Receive Support

They first landed in a spaceship that originated in an alternate universe: a place were people have sex by clapping their hands.

As the story goes, they came from Transsexual, Transylvania to colonize the earth.

At least that's how the Rocky Horror Picture Show portrayed gays in the late 1970s. Their presence could not be explained and they were expected to keep quiet.

But being gay is not what it used to be. In the 1980s, a political movement began that fought for the recognition of the gay community as a minority group entitled to rights and resources.

And while members of Harvard's gay community say they still feel that they are treated as members of an alternate universe, they quickly add that in recent months the University has vastly improved the services it offers bisexual, gay and lesbian students.

During this past year, Harvard agreed to open a gay student center, created new support groups for gay students at University Health Services (UHS) and approved the formation of a new student organization for gay women.

But while the availability of new resources signals Harvard's recognition that its gay community needs support, some students say the College administration refuses to recognize the political rights of this minority group.

The needs of lesbian, gay and bisexual students are being ignored by administrators across the board, says Joshua L. Oppenheimer '96-'97, an outspoken member of the gay community and political chair of the Bisexual, Gay and Lesbian Student Association (BGLSA).

"When there are strong movements in minority communities you can either honor them or ask where the demand comes from," Oppenheimer says. "This is what Harvard fails to do."

Oppenheimer concludes that the College cannot provide adequate support for gay students and that members of the gay community are forced rely on more informal networks. These networks, Oppenheimer says, can only be further im-proved if lesbian, gay and bi-sexual students gain recognition as a political minority on campus.

But Assistant Dean for Coeducation Virginia L. MacKay-Smith, who acts as a liaison to the College for gay students, says she has helped develop a tutor structure that is aimed at reaching out to students.

"We consider it to be working toward a community which is welcoming to bi, gay and straight students," Smith says.

Getting Support From UHS

The two new support groups for gay students that are run out of UHS are part of this broader effort by the College to provide support for its gay community.

The groups, which were developed in response to student requests, are led by three members of the UHS staff: Psychology Fellows Greg Buchanan and Xiaolu Hsi and social worker Deb Cohn.

"Members make a commitment to come and it's confidential," says Cohn of a group for graduate students that was formed in December.