College Political Clubs Contemplate Future

The 1996 election has come and gone.

Now what?

This is the question facing Harvard's student political groups, who will be refocusing their energies in coming weeks and recovering from the fervor of pre-election activity.

But their first priority is a short break.

"We will take a week to get some rest and sleep," said Eric F. Olney '98, vice president of the Harvard-Rad-cliffe College Democrats.

And then it will be business as usual.

Student leaders from the College Democrats, the Harvard Republican Club and the Harvard-Radcliffe Republican Alliance said they do not intend to fade out just because the election is over.

"The people in the [College Democrats] are people who care about issues and aren't just in it for the thrill of the campaign," Olney said. "They care about the issues that are important to the Democratic party....I see no reason why they wouldn't remain involved."

Members of the Republican Alliance said the end of the election will have little effect on the group's activities.

"We are going to keep doing what we do every time there is an election going on," said William D. Zerhouni '98-'97, president of the Republican Alliance.

The College Democrats plan to fill the calendar in upcoming months with several speakers and a number of debates.

The Republican Club has no plans to slow down either, according to group President Jay M. Dickerson '98.

"Basically, what we've got planned is to...keep busy by bringing in several high profile speakers within the next month or so, just to avoid a huge let down [after the election]," he said.

Dickerson added that the club is targeting some prominent conservative faculty members to join the group at informal dinners.

Dickerson and College Democrats President Seth D. Hanlon '98 both said their groups will now focus more on the issues that define their respective parties rather than devoting attention to specific candidates.

"Our biggest role now that the election is over will be to be a voice of reason and conservative thought on campus," said Republican Club member William M. Jay '98.

The Republican Alliance has its own set of speakers, trips and events lined up for students for the rest of the semester.

"We're trying to give people a relaxed environment in which to get involved," said Republican Alliance Vice President Scott L. Tribble '98.

The College Democrats and the Republican Club will participate in a debate on gay rights sometime in the next few weeks, said Hanlon.

The College Democrats will be focusing on many bi-partisan topics this year, Hanlon said.

"We will be debating and discussing campaign finance reform and other non-partisan issues that young people can come together on," he said