Who is Keyser Soze, and Can He Skate for Harvard?

A Cast of Unusual Suspects Dominates This Year's Roster

The hockey season is once again fast upon us, and as usual, there is more excitement surrounding this team than surrounds most Harvard athletic teams. This year, especially, there is a reason for that excitement.

After a roller coaster winter which ended with the Crimson just two goals shy of going to the NCAA Tournament, there is a feeling that this year's team can take it that extra step.

Last year's surprising freshman class is back in full force, and by all accounts has emerged stronger from the summer break. Another large crop of freshmen will be added to the mix, and thanks to the experience of some key upperclassmen, led by captain Ashlin Halfnight, the team is be one with bundles of winning potential. For anyone who is skeptical, just remember that five players from this team were picked in the NHL draft this summer--more than any other college program.

Livin' on a Prayer

Last season, which had more than its share of ups and downs, should provide this year's team with the desire to improve. The regular season seemed to go downhill from very early on, ending with a dismal nine-game losing streak. The team was plagued with injuries, some very close one-goal losses and a car accident right before the first Beanpot game that left then-seniors Brad Konik and Pete McLaughlin side-lined.

Amazingly, it was that same team which came up big in the post season. Led by junior Henry Higdon, who stepped it up in crunch time, the Crimson pulled off three victories in the ECAC Tournament and lost by only one goal to Cornell in the tournament final in Lake Placid. Had Harvard won, it would have received an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.

It was the way it finished that really brings a lot of hope to those on this year's team. In addition to Higdon, sophomores Craig Adams and Rob Millar showed incredible poise and skill down the stretch. Adams was named Rookie of the Year by his team after scoring eight goals and amassing 21 points in his first year.

Millar was a Cinderella story. After seeing limited time in the first half of the season, injuries to Konik, Kirk Nielsen and Tommy Holmes allowed Millar to see the ice and he full took advantage of the opportunity. In his first weekend of varsity play, Millar scored four goals, including a hat trick, and was named ECAC Rookie of the Week.

There are some key player losses from last year, however, as Konik, Nielsen, Holmes, McLaughlin, Jason Karmanos and goaltender Tripp Tracy have all graduated. Tracy's leadership in goal and the play of Konik, Nielsen and Holmes up front will be sorely missed. In addition, senior Stu Swenson did not return to the team this year and his gritty play will be sorely missed.

Youngblood

This year's team is dominated by freshmen and sophomores, who account for 16 of the 25 players on the preseason roster. Youth isn't necessarily a negative for this team.

"We're definitely a young team. But with that youngness comes the enthusiasm which I think can be real strength," Harvard coach Ronn Tomassoni said. "I'm really excited about what I see from the younger players."

The most important factor will be the play of the sophomores. Led by forwards Craig MacDonald, Adams and Millar, the sophomores got a lot of valuable playing time last season and proved to be up to the task.

Peter Zakowich will be competing for a goaltending slot with freshman J.R. Prestifilippo. Sophomores Ben Storey and Ethan Oberman also logged a lot of minutes last season and should play an important role in the Crimson's strong and experienced defensive line.

"The key class for us will definitely be that sophomore class," Tomassoni said. "They're coming back with experience. And that finish we had last year was so important. Hopefully we can use that as a springboard. They've been through a lot of battles and I think they're hungry for wins."

Pumpin' Iron