The Killings on Ruby Ridge

Hearings Reveal Blood on the Government's Hands

Randy Weaver believed the federal government would one day surround his home and kill his family.

After listening to hours of the Ruby Ridge hearings currently being held in the Senate, I have come to a frightening realization.

Weaver wasn't paranoid.

In fact, I'm beginning to think I was naive in believing that this country's law enforcement is at all trustworthy or even decent.

So far, the FBI's party line is that Weaver caused the death of his 14-year-old son and his wife by not appearing in court on a minor-weapons violation.

I guess I'm just a little silly for thinking that Weaver's failure to appear in court for a minor weapons violation was grounds for the government to surround his home and shoot at unarmed members of his family.

The fact is the FBI has admitted they ignored their standard rules of engagement: using deadly force only when there is danger of death or severe injury. Instead, the orders came down that snipers "could and should" shoot at any armed adult male.

Snipers on the ground have claimed they followed standard policy, not the orders they were given. That doesn't have the ring of truth for me, especially since it conveniently confuses the issue of who is actually accountable for the actions at the siege.

One sniper, in an incredible dodge of responsibility, admitted he was firing at a fleeing fourteen-year-old, but had the audacity to suggest that Randall Weaver (who was also fleeing toward the cabin at the time), shot his own son in the back. Please, I may be naive, but I'm hardly that stupid.

Sam Weaver was armed when he was shot: he had followed his barking dog down a trail, closely followed by two armed men: family friend Kevin Harris and his father, Randy Weaver. When U.S. Marshall William Degan jumped out of the undergrowth to shoot the dog. Sam swung his weapon around.

What happened next isn't clear. If you listen to the FBI (whose veracity is questionable at best), Sam fired a shot before fleeing. If you listen to Weaver and Harris, Degan fired first and Harris returned fire, probably killing Degan.

Both Randy Weaver and Harris were acquitted of murder at the trial that followed the siege. In fact, the only criminal act the jury was convinced Weaver committed was the minor weapons violation that began it all.

If the FBI expects Randy Weaver to take the blame for shooting his own son, than the FBI should be willing to take the blame for the death of Marshall Degan.

Before these hearings started, I could have been convinced that the deaths of Sam Weaver and Degan were just unfortunate accidents. But now, after hearing the circumstances surrounding the death of Vicki Weaver, I find it difficult to place much trust in these federal law enforcement agencies.

After Marshall Degan's death, the FBI classified Weaver as a terrorist and worked up a psychological profile of the family, which is hardly typical procedure in "cases" like this. The report stated that Vicki Weaver was the emotional center of the family and her death would probably result in a surrender.