Grant Case May Be Over, But Questions Persist

Attorney Says Teenager Did Not Lie to Alumni Interviewer; Concerns Over Juvenile Anonymity, Admit Process Remain

Supporters and critics of Gina Grant hastened yesterday to respond to new allegations that the 19-year-old Cambridge Rindge and Latin School senior lied to a Harvard alumni interviewer, claiming that her mother, whom she murdered, had died in an car crash.

Harvard has given no indication that it will reconsider its decision to rescind Grant's early admission, and attorneys and child experts say the public revelations about the Grant case have put the juvenile justice system's guarantees of anonymity into doubt.

Still, the uproar which has thrown the University in the center of intense media spotlight--ranging from the New York Times to National Public Radio--may now at last subside.

The Crimson first reported yesterday that two sources had confirmed Grant's attribution of her mother's death to an automobile accident after being asked by an interviewer how she became an orphan.

The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, are members of the Faculty Standing Committee on Admissions and Financial Aid, the group that canceled Grant's early offer of admission.

Grant pleaded no contest to voluntary manslaughter in the September, 1990 death of her mother, 42-year-old Dorothy Mayfield, in their Lexington, S.C. home. Grant, an honors student, served six months in juvenile detention and then moved to Cambridge, serving probation until she turned 18.

The admissions office launched a probe into Grant's past after receiving anonymous notices about her involvement in her mother's death. The investigation turned up the contents of Grant's alumni interview, two faculty sources told The Crimson.

Grant's attorney, Margaret A. Burnham, did not return repeated messages left at two offices and her home throughout yesterday.

But the attorney told the Associated Press yesterday that Grant did not misrepresent herself during her application process.

The faculty sources' version of events "is patently false," Burnham said. "She never lied to any interviewer."

Burnham said the leaks were "an effort to essentially throw dirt on Gina Grant. After having done the wrong thing by rejecting her, the University is now trying to cover its tracks by throwing dirt in her direction."

On Wednesday, Burnham told The Crimson that she had been told by University administrators that her client's admission was rescinded because of the omission of relevant material, not because Grant allegedly lied in her alumni interview.

Professor of Law Charles J. Ogletree, Jr., who has represented Grant unofficially as an advisor, said he was certain Grant did not lie.

"I have every confidence that Gina Grant told the truth and was forthright in all her discussions with Harvard," Ogletree said yesterday.

Told about the new allegations that surfaced yesterday, Ogletree said, "I don't think they can prove it."