Harvard Athletes go to Lillehammer

Five Alumni on Team USA--Three Hockey Stars, Their Coach, and a Bobsledder

The attention of Lillehammer was focused on Nancy Kerrigan yesterday as she took first place in the short figure skating competition at the XVII Winter Olympics. Among those eyes most likely watching at Lillehammer were some of Harvard's very own.

This year's participants and coaching staff in the Winter Olympics include a total of five Harvard graduates.

Harvard's hockey team has given team USA four members, including head coach Tim Taylor '63, goalie coach Joe Bertagna '73 and forwards Peter A. Ciavaglia '91, and Ted E. Drury '93-'94.

The faith Harvard Olympian is bobsledder Jim Herberich '85.

To most current Harvard students, Drury's name is familiar. Many upperclass students remember Drury's MVP play in Harvard's successful 1993 run for the Beanpot.

Drury was also the 1993 East Coast Athletic Conference (ECAC) Player of the year and a finalist for the 1993 Hobey Baker Award as the nation's most outstanding hockey player.

As a sophomore, Drury participated in the 1992 Olympics Albertville. Drury appeared in seven games, scoring one goal and having one assist before a knee injury side lined him.

Team USA eventually placed fourth at Albertville after losing the bronze medal game to Czechoslovakia.

This year, the former Harvard student anchored an Olympic front line that reached the quarterfinals of the medal round before falling to Final last night.

Drury's prior participation in high-stakes games expected to help Team USA.

"He bring us Olympic experience and a lot of international experience," Taylor said in an interview last summer.

Drury's return to Harvard after the 1992 Winter Olympic was some-what a surprise, but he said at the time that he "wanted to come back and contribute something to Harvard hockey."

Following his return, Drury became the first Harvard junior to serve as the team's captain since 1921.

"He led by example...and worked as hard as he could," said forward Benjamin M. Coughlin '95 yesterday. "He inspired the rest of us to do the same."

Drury is currently playing professional hockey for the Calgary Flames.