Christian Groups Blossom

News Feature

In high school, Nate S. Becker '98 was active in his church and in a Bible study group, and he wanted to continue his involvement in college.

So when he visited Harvard as a pre-frosh, he was looking for a strong Christian community in his prospective school.

He found it, he says.

"The main reason I chose to go to Harvard is because of the Christian fellowship groups here," he says. "I felt like this would be a really good chance for me to serve God and grow and learn more."

Becker is one of a growing number of Harvard students participating in Christian groups and activities. Over the last five years, many groups have seen mushrooming membership lists.

The Harvard-Radcliffe Christian Fellowship's attendance at its weekly large group meetings has risen from only 30 students in 1989 to about 150 in 1994, not including 70 members who now form the separate Asian American Bible Study.

Another group, Christian Impact, has grown from only seven members in 1989 to 70 this year, according to president Vicky Clisham '95.

Students offer several reasons for the increased membership. One may be the social value of the groups, though students say they are primarily religious organizations, not clubs.

"I'm sure it's some factor, but I think very, very few people are there for just the social reason," says Thomas S. Hwang '95, executive coordinator of Christian Fellowship.

Many students point to a widespread need for spiritual stability in a relativistic world. The Christian groups, and their faith, provide a moral code and a base, they say.

"Christian faith gives a clear, moral set of standards," says Robert A. Fryling, vice president of the Inter Varsity Christian Fellowship. "It is liberating for people to have something to rely on."

Growing Numbers

Christian Impact and Christian Fellowship are not the only groups whose numbers have grown.

The Asian Baptist Student Koinonia, founded in 1991, doubled from five to ten members within one year, says president Daniel S. Cho '96.

The Orthodox Christian Fellowship, which had only 10 members three years ago, has grown to about 30 graduate and 30 undergraduate members today, according to co-chair Christiana M. Ajalat '96.

Despite the dramatic surge in membership, the basic activities of Harvard's Christian groups have remained the same, according to group leaders.