Shumway Leads Field Hockey

Where there's a will, there's a Shumway.

That's Carrie Shumway, the junior converted midfielder of the Harvard field hockey team. And it was her will that gave the Crimson a 1-0 win over the Yale Bulldogs Saturday at Cumnock Field.

With 8:23 left to go in the first half, Shumway ripped a shot past the Yale goaltender for the only goal in the game.

"It was a deflection off of the [defender]," Shumway said. "It just happened to go in."

It was a goal that the Crimson (2-1 Ivy, 4-6 overall) desperately needed. The team had lost three games in a row by a combined score of 12-4, and a loss to Yale wouldn't help things a bit.

Harvard was also playing without junior attacker Maureen O'Brien, who aggravated a sprained ankle in Tuesday's 3-0 loss to William and Mary.

So to add back some offensive punch, Harvard Coach Sue Caples moved Shumway from the defense up to midfield.

It obviously worked.

"It was a good game considering that we reworked things," captain Megan Colligan (sweeper) said. "Luckily we pulled off this win--this change is good, but is tough [to get used to]."

As the Harvard defense was getting used to the new scheme, there were breakdowns, and so the Yale offense had plenty of good chances to score throughout the game.

But the Crimson's goaltender, junior Jessica Milhollin, came up with 15 saves to preserve the shutout.

"It just can't happen," Milhollin said. "Their offense had too many shots on goal. The new defense took a little getting used to."

In contrast, Harvard only had six shots on goal. Of course, one of them went in.

Shumway held control of the ball near the Eli goal and drove towards the net, where she drew a foul from the Yale defense.

On the ensuing corner shot, sophomore midfielder Daphne Clark took a blast at the net that was blocked by a defender.