Council Decides Grants, Chair Defends Conduct

PBH Allotment Discussed

Undergraduate Council members expressed their concerns last night over last week's allegations that Council Chair Michael P. Beys '94 and other council members misalloted $3,000 in October.

The council devoted a segment late in its meeting to discuss the allotment of corporate donations from last spring's Rock for Shelter concert to Phillips Brooks House (PBH).

But the council got an early taste of the heated question and answer session which was to follow last night's grant distribution.

After making introductory remarks about the grant proposal session, council Treasurer Carey W. Gabay '94 acknowledged "rumors of an impeachment process" circulating around the council that called for Beys to step down.

In an impassioned defense of Beys and the decision to allot the $3,000 to PBH last October, Gabay said "I will resign if an impeachment process is carried forward."

Beys then defended his own actions, saying he had consulted then-Vice Chair Malcolm A. Heinicke '93 and then-Chair David A. Aronberg '93 after being lobbied by PBH Homeless Chair Christopher J. Davidson '95.

But later, during the question and answer session, Aronberg said he had never been consulted on the decision to give the $3,000 to PBH, and learned of the decision only from a Crimson reporter.

"Could Mike have done things better? Yes. Did he do something illegal? No. I believe he acted in good faith," said Aronberg, who was chair when the money was allotted in October.

Heinicke, who on Thursday could not confirm cosigning the $3,000 check with Beys, said last night that he was the co-signer of the check.

Near the beginning of the meeting, Beys told the coun- cil that he had twice used the world "blackmail" in reference to Davidson's lobbying, once in the Crimson Sports Grille and then again in a council social committee meeting. But he said "I misused the word and I took it back in a formal setting."

Council members David L. Duncan '93, and Melissa Garza '94 pressed Beys on his motives for directing the money to PBH. Duncan asked Beys if the decision to allot the money had "nothing to do with your vice chair election?"

"No, No," answered Beys.

Following this exchange early in the meeting, the council engaged in a lengthy grant approval session. But the representatives returned their focus to the issue of the $3,000 allotment with a question and answer session to flesh out the facts.

Beys said he was upset "about the distrust and cynicism on this council" evident from the debate.

Randall A. Fine '96, chair of the council's reevaluation committee, said he felt the same dissension within the council.

"I sort of feel like we're in a room of vultures," Fine said.