No Shortage of Crimson Beanpot Heroes

Tournament Moments to Remember and the Beginning of the Hobey Baker Hype

Everyone could find a hero in Monday night's remarkable upset of BU.

Sophomore Steve Martins with his two goals and fiery on-ice presence.

Ted Drury with his two points and team leadership.

And, of course, freshman goalie Tripp Tracy (30 saves), who the media seems to have dubbed the next John Blue--a previously unheralded netminder making his mark when it counts.

After the game, everybody was talking about Tracy, Tracy, Tracy. Who is he? Where did he learn to play that way?

Harvard Coach Ronn Tomassoni said Tracy is a born competitor. "Tripp's just an outstanding goaltender. He's a very, very competitive kid. He's got that look in his eyes that says he wants to be there in the tough situations."

Captain Ted Drury thinks Tracy's spunk makes him shine in net. "Tripp played unbelievably tonight. He's a very confident kid."

Tracy himself said he was just a little bit over-whelmed by the whole experience. "I'm from Michigan, and there's nothing like this in Michigan," the Grosse Point Farne native said.

You can say that again.

Exciting Moments right after Harvard sophomore Steve Martins fired a cannon ball in the top left corner of the net Monday to tie the score in the first period, Boston University looked ready to pounce.

And Harvard did everything it could to give the Terriers that extra spring in their step, getting called for too many men on the ice 41 seconds after Martins' penalty.

What followed was just one spectacular moment in a extra-spectacular game.

With the boisterous Terrier fans taunting, "you can't count," to their intellectually superior opponents, Harvard proceeded to open class and teach the Terriers a little lesson in penalty killing and physical play.

Harvard held firm through the first minute poking at everything in the zone. Then senior Matt Mallgrave's stick shattered in a collision against the boards, and Harvard was caught with one man down and one man without a stick. But the senior made the best of a lost situation, forechecking and pestering every BU defender. It paid off, as Mallgrave found his skate on the puck on the right side by the blueline and cleared it up the ice at 15:35.

The fun didn't stop there. BU brought the puck back down, more than a little frustrated that it couldn't score against a team that was virtually without two of its players.