HAMMERING THEIR WAY INTO HARVARD HISTORY

THE CONSTRUCTION CREWS:

One has acted on television, film and off-Broadway theater. Another is a published poet and journalist, with bylines in such prestigious publications as The Nation.

The list goes on and on.

Meet the people who are bringing new luxury to Harvard's buildings while simultaneously maintaining their histories and traditions.

Since Harvard began full-scale renovations of its Yard dorms and other select buildings more than a year ago, hundreds of construction workers have graced the University with their presence--and many with their life stories.

Two crews contracted by Beacon Construction are currently renovating Thayer Hall and erecting Harvard-Radcliffe Hillel's new Rosovsky Hall. The Thayer gang, about 100 workers strong, can be viewed as a group of individuals with oodles of unique stories in their toolboxes.

"We all know the stereotype of the construction worker," says Joseph D. Power, construction steward for Local 40. "He works all day, comes home and drinks beer all night."

"Well, it's not true," says Power, who oversees the 30 carpenters working on Thayer. "We have other lives too."

The construction workers refurbishing Thayer, many of whom worked on other recent Yard renovations, take pride in their work and their unions.

Last year, for the visit of the king and queen of Spain, all the carpenters dressed up in white "to show craft pride," Power says.

The workers have come to Harvard from a variety of backgrounds.

After serving for three years with the U.S. Navy in Morocco, Thomas J. Vittorioso served his apprenticeship in carpentry. But he was drawn away from his trade by the lure of the theater, he says.

After work in local community theater, Vittorioso expanded his horizons. He worked in Boston and received bit parts in films and commercials.

In addition to his work off-Broadway, Vittorioso worked in an award-winning theater company and participated in an international theater festival. He has performed in plays by writers from Anton Chekov to Sam Shepard.

But Vittorioso eventually decided to settle down and return to his carpentry roots--which has brought him back to Boston. "I enjoy the restoration work," he says. "There's a real challenge in taking the old and making it new again. I prefer this work over new construction."

Like Vittorioso, Susan Eisenberg received her training in carpentry. But she moved into another field as well: writing.