The Fairy-Tale Ending

SQUASH'S JEREMY FRAIBERG

It has been a fairy-tale ending.

When senior Jeremy Fraiberg began his Harvard squash career, a slew of injuries prevented him for two years from competing at his peak.

But the Canadian surmounted all obstacles to stake his claim as the top collegiate squash player in the nation.

He picked up the national individual title this March, after leading the team to its second straight national crown.

"After those years of frustration, I felt that I had to prove myself," Fraiberg says. "I got a lot of support from my coaches, my family and my roommates, but I finally made it."

Through all the setbacks, Fraiberg's talent has never been in doubt. He began playing at age nine, and won his first tournament when he was 11.

Continued success in the tournaments was followed by long hours practicing. Squash, quite naturally, became a central part of Fraiberg's life.

"I really enjoyed squash," Fraiberg says, "but I think you tend to do what you are good at. I did very well with squash, and got a lot of attention, so I kept working harder."

By the time Fraiberg was recruited to Harvard, he had an impressive list of credits to his name, including the Canadian and American junior national titles.

Fraiberg arrived at Harvard with high expectations, ready to continue his winning ways.

"I had huge dreams back then," Fraiberg says. "Harvard had just graduated a bunch of seniors. I thought I would just walk in and take their place, win the nationals for myself and help Harvard to the title."

But Fraiberg was denied that glory, not by an opponent, but by recurring injuries.

First, a sprained ankle. Then chicken pox. Both just as Fraiberg began his first year.

But there was more.

Torn ligaments, pulled muscles and other assorted ailments kept Fraiberg form competing well for two years.