An Open Letter

PRESIDENT'S NOTE

Early this morning the Harvard Salient distributed posters labeled "Another Episode of Crimson Hypocrisy." The posters compared the Harvard Law Review's parody of the work of a murdered feminist scholar with what they depicted as a Crimson parody.

The Crimson does not do parodies. They parody to which the Salient refers is not a Crimson publication. The issue, produced in December 1991, was a secret snowperson" practical joke between two staffers of The Crimson, and not intended for distribution on campus or among general staff members. They intended to lampoon parodies of the Crimson produced by other campus organizations. The publication of the parody was produced and paid for entirely by those individuals.

Nevertheless, the parody was both offensive and tasteless. It included articles and photographs that were demeaning to women. We regret that the material appeared under the Crimson banner.

The incident at the Law Review has brought to light issues of sexism at every institution, including our own. Misogyny is not funny in any context. Humor is an inappropriate forum for discussion of such serious issues that effect so many individuals on campus.

We are saddened that the Salient has chosen to link the Law Review's desecration of the life and work of Mary Joe Frug with The Crimson, implying that we approve of such hate. We condemn the Review's appalling parody, and stand by our staff editorial position.