AAA's Fashion Show Is Not for Asians

I AM a stereotype, resent me.

After a certain point, I can't change who I am--at least not my physical appearance or the clothes I am limited to wearing because of my height.

I don't feel like a stereotype even when I do things that could possibly be labelled as those of a stereotypical Asian American. So, what's the difference?

That attitude doesn't seem so obvious to many Asian American students at Harvard who feel that they have to combat stereotypes to be considered unique.

The Asian American Association (AAA) has conscientiously led the assault, sponsoring a forum on stereotypes and an "Asian Model Search," for a mega-huge-real-Boston-media-coverage-expected-real -hairdressers-real makeup artists-Asian fashion show to be held later this month.

What? An all-Asian Fashion show to combat Asian stereotypes?

It sounds ridiculous.

I was disturbed when I first saw the row of hot pink "Asian Model Search" posters of a tall, slim, decidedly caucasian-looking female taped to the pavement leading to the Science Center. Taped there, I suppose, to recruit all those reclusive Asian pre-meds?

I BECAME more disturbed when I learned that there would be a height requirement for all those aspiring Asian models. To have the honor of sashaying down the runway, women have to be at least 5'6" and men 5'8".

What? The Asian women models have to be at least 5'6"? How many Asian women are actually that tall, I wondered. Instinct told me that 5'6" was far from our median height. I conducted an unscientific investigation.

I thought of all my Asian friends. Only two are that tall.

My other piece of evidence is that the majority of my 4'9" mother's clothes that fit well are sent from Japan by an aunt. If my mom can find clothes that fit in Japanese department stores with relative ease, then a good number of Asians are that short. Economics, you know?

"Discrimination!!" I cried.

Friends tried to placate me with the consolation that the height requirements were merely due to the fact that the clothes to be modeled were cut for people that tall. In a real fashion show (i.e. one with white models), I was reminded that female models are required to be at least 5'10". By lowering the height requirement, this fashion show was indeed taking into consideration the shorter stature of the Asian community. But that's not the message I get.

BEFORE you can consider modeling, my taller Asian brothers and sisters, you must be, according to AAA, "non-stereotypical and distinctive-looking."