Currier Junior Wins Pageant

A Currier House junior won the Miss Metro Jackson, Mississippi Pageant for 1992 last weekend, putting her in the running to become the next Miss America, pageant officials said yesterday.

Honey East '93 will compete in the statewide Mississippi contest in early July, according to Michael J. Jones, the State Field Director for the Miss Mississippi pageant.

East, a psychology concentrator, is a former Miss Teen Mississippi and finished in the top ten of the Miss Teen USA 1989 pageant.

William H. Smith, a Jackson pediatrician who is executive director of the Miss Metro Jackson Hines County Pageant, said East has an excellent chance of doing well at the state level.

"Knowing what I know, I think she'll definitely be in the top ten and it just depends what the judges are looking for as to whether she'll win or not," Smith said.

East said she is optimistic about

the competition.

"If I win it'll definitely help pay for a lotof medical school," she said. "That would be verynice."

East said she received scholarship money forher Miss Metro Jackson victory, but would notdisclose the amount.

In the competition, she was judged onpresentations in four separate areas: talent,swimsuit and evening gown modelling and a privateinterview with the judges.

Smith--who described East as 5'7 1/2" tall,with brown eyes and shoulder-length brownhair--said the junior was particularly impressivein the swimsuit and evening gown categories.

"It was the most beautiful gown I've ever seenand the judges made that comment," Smith said."She looked as pretty as one can look."

East said the dress--a white sequin gown with ahigh neck and long sleeves--was specially made forher by nationally known designer Stephen Yearick.

In the talent area, Smith said East performed acombination dance and baton twirling act to thestrains of "Yankee Doodle Dandy." East is atwo-time world champion baton twirler.

"Her talent performance was really good," Smithsaid. "She was one of the favorites with theaudience."

But East said the best part of the competitionwas the opportunity it has provided her to spreada message on an issue of concern to the community.She said she has chosen to focus on the issue ofhomelessness.

"You have a purpose, you're serving some kindof function for the community," she said. "It'sreally a positive experience."

Smith said that regardless of how East performsat the state level, Jackson residents willremember her local victory for years to come.

"She is instantly a celebrity in this area,"Smith said. "For the rest of their lives, peoplewill remember that she was Miss Metro Jackson1992."

Told of this prediction, East laughed."Pageants in Mississippi are a big deal," shesaid