Women's Teams Gear Up For Beanpot At Bright

The 14th annual Women's Beanpot Tournament, to be held at Harvard tomorrow, presents a bit of a crossroads for the sport.

Women's ice hockey has become increasingly popular and competitive at the collegiate level.

At the same time, many universities have had to make major cuts in their athletic budgets, putting the sport in a fragile position.

The four teams in the Beanpot Tournament find themselves in contrasting situations.

Traditionally among the nation's top three teams, Northeastern has dominated the Beanpot for the past several years.

This year's team includes players from the U.S. national team: Jeanine Sobek, Laura Shuler, Kim Hamam and Shelley Rooney.

However, the team's future success could be jeopardized by its own athletic department, which may take away its athletic scholarships and reduce the squad's status to club level.

In the wake of the controversy, rumors have circulated that sugggest that veteran Coach Don McCloud may resign.

If Northeastern does lose its women's ice hockey scholarships, it will follow in the footsteps of Providence and New Hampshire, the nation's other top women's teams.

Both Harvard Coach John Dooley and Boston College Coach Tom O'Malley agree that the current trend will create more parity.

"Year in and year out Northeastern has really been the team to beat in the Beanpot, " Dooley said. "Their scholarships have really helped them."

"Women who have in the past looked at the big three [Providence, UNH and Northeastern] will also look elsewhere," O'Malley said. "If they want to play hockey here they can find a great program. We're a team of the future."

Harvard's first-round opponent, BC, reaps the benfits of an athletic department which receives rabid alumni support. Although officially a club sport, it skates at Conte Forum (BC's ultramodern hockey/basketball complex), and has had increased recruiting success.

"I couldn't be happier with the way things are going. We're about two years behind Northeastern and Harvard but we're getting there," O'Malley said.

Harvard recognizes the rising talent of BC (12-2), which has beaten Rensselaer, BU and Yale.