Toronto Crushes W. Hockey

The Harvard women's hockey team (5-6 overall) knew the Toronto Varsity Blues (22-4) would provide stiff competition yesterday.

The Blues have outscored their Canadian league opponents 50-10, but yesterday's 9-1 victory over the Crimson sent a warning to future American opponents.

The Blues, who defeated the Crimson last year in Toronto, have improved considerably this season.

In intercollegiate competition, Toronto has suffered only one loss, 6-4, to Providence, while rolling over various college and club teams.

Toronto wasted no time in getting on the scoreboard, tallying a minute after the opening faceoff, but the Crimson held its own for the first period.

Freshman Michelle Rosenberg broke into Harvard's end, whistled a shot by goalie Erin Villiotte, and gave Toronto a quick 1-0 lead.

Toronto added another goal at 11:15 as Vicky Sunohara converted sharp passes from Heidi Vangalen and Juile Cooke to collect first goal of the evening.

The Crimson battled back when sophomore Joey Alissi received a pass from Senior Ginny Simonds in front of the net and slid the puck past goalie Leslie Reddon, to close the gap to 2-1.

But junior Cathy Payne's tally with six seconds remaining in the first period gave Toronto a 3-1 lead heading into the second period.