Be Prepared

DEALING WITH INTERVIEWS

What is the key to an effective interview?

Preparation.

What are the elements to preparation?

Company and industry knowledge, pertinent questions, professional focus, and self-marketing skills.

An exit survey of corporate recruiters reveals that Harvard dents were lacking in four areas in their interview:

1. Students did not research the companies beyond the company-provided materials. Their understanding of the field, Industry trends, the company, its culture and potential career paths was weak.

2. Because their research was weak, students did not ask pertinent questions.

3. Students were not completely focused on the industry, company, or department.

4. Students did not market themselves well.

Research. Too often job hunters put all their efforts into getting interviews and forget about preparing for the interviews they worked so hard to get. Having a detailed knowledge of the position, the employer's firm, and the employer's industry results in one of three things: a job offer, a second interview, or a referral to another opportunity. Giving some thought to an upcoming interview and preparing for it can often mean the difference between success and failure in the job hunt.

Questions. Do not ask questions which are answered in the recruiting material or the Fact Sheet. However, you may wish to investigate some aspects of the position/training program in greater depth. If you have done extensive research on the company, questions should reflect an understanding of a concern for the industry and company for which you hope to work.

Make a list of ten questions. Rework and reword them so they are short, clear, definite, effective, and open-ended. You are aiming to accomplish four objectives: (1) to show that you have done your research; (2) to gain information; (3) to demonstrate that you can take control and ask intelligent questions; and (4) to allow the interviewer to talk.

Don't be afraid to take your list of questions to the interview. It shows that you are well organized and it will eliminate the possiblity of forgetting a question. With a list of ten questions the chances are slim that the interviewer will answer all your questions in the course of the general interview.

Focus. Every company that you interview with is your number one choice. In addition, you must be prepared to tell them why they are your top choice and what you have to offer them.

Self-marketing. Marketing yourself well means being enthusiastic, having a positive attitude, being focused, and substantiating what you tell the interviewer about yourself with accomplishment. Do not be afraid to point out your strengths; however, confidence - not arrogance - is the key.