Enhancing the Sexual Experience

Feeling especially dominant today? Or just horny?

"MASTER," "MISTRESS" or "SLAVE," there's a studded dog collar out there with your name on it.

Not to mention a few body harnesses, handcuffs, whips, chains--and if you can stomach them, cock rings or nipple clips (that conveniently vary in degrees of tightness, of course).

Hubba, hubba, hubba...

Where Passion is Fashion

The store at 932 Mass Ave., where they say they "had bullwhips before Mapplethorpe," is aptly named Hubba Hubba. This erotic establishment, which started out as an antique clothing store and later moved to punk, today features what artist/owner Susan R. Phelps calls "bondage and fetish clothing."

For Phelps, who earned a bachelor's in fine arts from the Rhode Island School of Design, the store is her "palette."

For her customers, the store is, well, palatable.

Among other 'accessories,' Hubba Hubba features passion fruit and blueberry flavored condoms, Ben-Wa balls, and a plethora of dildos--a few of which go by names, such as "Junior Executive" and "Clitorator." The specialty lingerie includes leather corsets, cupless bras and crotchless, edible, thong or zippered panties.

Handcuffs, legcuffs, whips, paddles, masks and spread bars (with arm and leg restraints) make up the store's vast sadomasochism section. Rabbit covered handcuffs are available for those into "a softer kind of bondage."

The Spanking Thing'

Phelps says she sells these items "to enhance the sexual experience."

In a time when AIDS and other dangerous sexually transmitted diseases have become epidemic, S & M toys help couples enrich monogomous relationships and alleviate the desire to find excitement through many different partners, Phelps says.

But for many people, S & M and kinky sex paraphernalia are just not a part of daily life. Phelps says people look down upon bondage because they either "fear being out of control," or because they have fallacious ideas about what S & M actually is.

"Just because someone buys a whip doesn't mean they want to whip the be-jeezus out of you," says Phelps. "It's the perfect amount of stimulus that's just enough to make the blood rise to the surface. That's what the whole spanking thing is about."