Prepping for a 'Pot

The Hockey Notebook

How important was it to the Harvard hockey team that it played three games before its Beanpot semifinal?

"I recommend that the scheduling people do this every year," senior Josh Caplan said.

In recent years, the Crimson (18-1 overall, 15-1 ECAC) had played at most one game before taking to the Boston Garden ice for the Beanpot. And in its last seven trips to the Beanpot, Harvard had failed to win its opening-round contest.

This year, Harvard faced Yale, Princeton and Army before taking on Boston College in the 'Pot. The Crimson still lost its first game after break--a 3-1 decision at Yale in New Haven, Conn.--but it finally broke the Beanpot jinx. Harvard defeated the Eagles, 5-4, last Monday night at the Garden.

The Crimson will meet Boston University in the 'Pot final Monday at the Garden at 8 p.m. The last time Harvard won the title was in 1981.

Middle of Nowhere

Playing three games before the 'Pot semifinals may have been a boost for the Crimson, but spending three days on the road before the final may not be as beneficial.

Harvard takes a long trek into upstate New York this weekend, where the Crimson faces Cornell and Colgate in regular ECAC action. Harvard meets the Big Red in Ithaca, N.Y., tomorrow night and then plays the Red Raiders in Hamilton, N.Y., on Saturday.

"We can't just concentrate on the [Beanpot] finals," Harvard Coach Bill Cleary said. "We have a tough weekend ahead of us."

Staying Sober

Don't plan on drinking any beer at this year's 'Pot.

Boston Garden officials announced Monday that no alcoholic beverages would be served during any Beanpot games.

At last February's 'Pot, Garden vendors were fined for accepting a fake I.D., and the Massachusetts Alcohol Control Commission has forbidden them to serve alcohol during this year's tournament.

The decision, which has been announced during each 'Pot game, didn't provoke much of a response from the Harvard-Boston College crowd.

But spectators at the Northeastern-Boston University game were less than thrilled with the Commission's decision. The announcement drew more attention--and more of a reaction--than the action on the ice.