Hockey Gods Rule

Varelitas

BURLINGTON, Vt.--While the rest of Gutterson Field House rocked, ranted and raved at the Harvard-Vermont hockey game, two older-looking gentlemen wearing faded Montreal Canadiens shirts were in the corner of the arena watching the game. They were pensive. They were quiet. They were two of the hockey gods.

And like hockey gods, they were talking about their favorite subject.

"Hey look, Harvard's playing tonight."

"The national champs. Why do you think I came here? I'm supposed to be twisting their fate this season."

"Really?"

"Yeah. And why are you here?"

"For the shopping. I mean, have you ever visited this town during Christmas? Then I heard you were here, so I decided to pay you a visit. You know, for old times sake. Remember all those years with the Bruins? Now that was great."

"Yeah, it was, but that was a long time ago. Now they've got me doing college hockey. It's okay, I guess. I mean, Harvard's an interesting case. National champs one year, snake-bitten hockey team the next."

"You devil, you. What have you done this year?"

"Last week, I was at Colgate. I let the RedRaiders score the game-winner in the closingseconds. Of course, you have the Yale game at thebeginning of the season, too. And don't forgetBrown, Army and RPI."

"Whoa, you're really taking it to them."

"Yeah, I guess. Just trying to make thingstough. Once you're national champs, everyone's outto get you."

"But they're playing well tonight. They weredown, 3-1, and came right back to tie it, 3-3."

"I was just teasing them there."

"You mean, you're not saying that Harvard'sgoing to lose...."