Bush Again Calls for an Ouster of Noriega

President `Wouldn't Mind Force,' But Refuses to Commit U.S. Troops

WASHINGTON--President Bush issued a new call yesterday for the overthrow of Panamanian ruler Manuel Antonio Noriega, saying "I wouldn't mind using force if it could be done in a prudent manner." But Bush emphasized he was not offering a blanket commitment of American troops.

Ten days after an uprising against the Panamanian general was crushed, Bush vigorously defended his handling of the situation, rejecting criticism from Democrats and Republicans alike over his refusal to provide U.S. military assistance.

He seemed particularly disturbed by charges that he abandoned the rebels, leaving them on their own after publicly exhorting the Panamanian military to oust Noriega. Bush said that was "a stupid argument that some very erudite people make."

At a hurriedly called news conference, Bush also addressed politically charged issues in Congress. He said:

.He opposes federal funding of abortions for poor women who are victims of rape and incest but holds out hopes for a congressional compromise that would "avoid a veto on my part." He said he would "see if there is room for flexibility" when Senate and House negotiators work out a compromise version of a bill that now would allow such federal payments.

.He will permit a bill outlawing flag burning to become law without his signature. "I don't think it's enough," Bush said, renewing his call for a constitutional amendment along the same lines but adding that he would not veto the legislation in the meantime.

.He still wants Congress to approve his plan for a cut in the capital gains tax, and he did not rule out the possibility of signing legislation that combined his proposal with a Democratic version liberalizing individual retirement accounts. A few hours later, Senate leaders agreed on a plan to strip hundreds of specialinterest provisions from a $14.1 billion deficit-reduction bill, leaving the capital gains fight for the future.

Asked about attempts in Congress to repeal catastrophic health care legislation for the elderly, Bush made clear he was staying away from that controversial topic, preferring instead to let "the congressional process hash this out."

As for a possible future coup against Noriega, Bush said, "I hope I would never be reckless enough as a commander-in-chief to make a blanket commitment to use of force without knowing the facts regarding some coup attempt."

On the other hand, the president said, "I wouldn't mind using force if it could be done in a prudent manner. So, in other words, I'm not ruling out the use of force for all time."

Bush said, "I am not going to give carte blanche support to an operation, particularly when they don't ask for this support. And I have to reserve that right. I have at stake the lives ofAmerican kids and I am not going to easily thrustthem into a battle unless I feel comfortable withit and unless those general officers in whom Ihave total confidence feel comfortable."

He rejected the idea of Noriega giving up powerin return for dismissal of drug-traffickingcharges in the United States, a possibility that areporter suggested had been raised with thepresident. "It would send an impossible signal inthis fight against drugs," Bush said.

While defending his handling of the coupattempt, Bush said the administration wasreviewing procedures to see "if we can't do itbetter."

In Miami, Adela Bonilla de Giroldi, widow ofthe coup leader, said the U.S. military's cautiousattitude toward coup leaders had stalled vital aidat a key moment. In particular, she said U.S.officials were slow to react when one of theplotters tried to use a telephone number that U.S.authorities had provided for use in an emergency.

Bush promised to look into her complaint. "Tothe degree we can improve our communications,fine," he said.

As a result of an internal review, theadministration has decided that acrisis-management team will be automaticallyconvened in the White House situation room infuture emergencies, a senior official said