Netwomen Set to Serve to the West's Best

It's the East versus the West.

The Harvard women's tennis team, the best team in the East, will travel to California over spring break to take on some of the topranked teams in the country.

"We can't expect to win all of the matches, but we're hoping to do as well as possible," Kathy Mulvehal said.

Captains: Kristin Bland and Cyndy Austrian

1987 Record: 14-7 overall, 7-0 Ivies

Current Record: 1-0

Home Matches: Beren Tennis Center

After completing its best fall season ever with a 5-1 record and winning the ITCA Eastern Regional Tournament, the Crimson (now ranked 24th nationally) will be looking to capture its fifth straight undisputed Ivy title and make its fifth consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance.

"I think we're in good position to play for the Ivy and Eastern titles," Harvard Coach Ed Krass said. "The team had a very good fall season and unified earlier than last year."

"We did pretty well in the fall," Christina Dragomirescu said. "We hope to continue where we left off in the fall."

Despite losing four-time All-Ivy players Kathy Vigna and Robin Boss, the Crimson (winner of 36 out of its last 37 Ivy games) came through with a strong fall season.

Harvard's first-place finish in the ITCA Easterns qualified it for the USTA/ITCA National Indoor Tournament in Wisconsin earlier this month. It was the first apperance for the Crimson in the tournament.

The netwomen defeated North-western and Wisconsin, but fell to Miami and Georgia. The Hurricanes and Bulldogs are ranked sixth and 10th, respectively.

Harvard's top three doubles teams of Co-Captain Kristin Bland-Jamie Henikoff, Amy deLone-Dragomirescu, and Co-Captain Cyndy Austrian-Mulvehal, had a combined record of 35-9 in the fall.

Bland and Henikoff--the number-one doubles team--finished the fall season with a 13-5 record. The doubles duo qualifed for the National Indoor Tournament earlier last month, and also placed first at the ITCA Eastern Regional Rolex Doubles Tournament at the University of Minnesota.