The Scouting Report

Harvard

Quarterback: What happened, Tom? Last week Tom Yohe threw three interceptions against Dartmouth. He still threw for more than 300 yards. But the fact that the Crimson scored only seven points is a bit disturbing. Yohe's 23 completions last week were a career high.

Running Backs: Tony Hinz has to learn to hold on to the football. The past few weeks he looked like he was carrying around a greased watermelon. Hold on, Tony. Hinz has rushed 420 yards in five games this year. Silas Myers moved into second on the rushing list last week. Myers has a grand total of 68 yards rushing.

Receivers: Tight end Don Gajewski pulled in 10 passes for 122 yards and a touchdown--his fourth of the year--last week against Dartmouth. His TD was the Crimson's only score. Hinz leads the club in pass receiving yardage with 397. Gajewski is second with 285 yards. Wideout Neil Phillips is third on the team list with 360 yards.

Offensive Line: Everyone had to take the blame against Dartmouth, including this meaty unit. Four starters from the 1987 Ivy League championship team are back. Guards Maurice Frilot and Shawn Sensky, center Tony Consigli and tackle John Bartholomew are going to have to be Yohe's Iron Curtain against Princeton.

Defensive Line: This bunch watched Dartmouth score on big plays twice. Think they're a little angry? Captain and defensive end Don Peterson leads this group of go-getters who were so unsuccessful against Dartmouth last week. Peterson has 29 tackles and six sacks. The school record for sacks is 10 set by Kevin Dulsky last year.

Linebackers: This duo leads Harvard in tackles. Greg Ubert has 49 tackles. Brian Burns has 42. However, this duo must share the blame for the fiasco against Dartmouth. Ubert had six solo tackles against the Big Green.

Secondary: Dartmouth wideout Craig Morton burned these folks for 190 yards and three touchdowns. It was the best day of Morton's career. What do you have to say for yourselves, Jim Smith and Henry Olson. If Big Green QB Mark Johnson can be successful there's no telling how many yards Jason Garrett will chalk up. Bring your calculator.

Kicking Game: Alan Hall did not get much of a chance to test his leg against Dartmouth. He is five-of-eight on field goal attempts. His longest: 34 yards. Hall also handles the punting chores. He is averaging 32.1 yards per kick.

Intangibles: Harvard is on a four-game losing streak and needs a victory in a big game to snap out of its doldrums. A victory over Princeton would not only give a boost to the ailing Crimson but would keep the team in the race for the Ivy League championship.

Princeton

Quarterback: Jason Garrett is not just a good QB. He's also a class guy. After the Tigers fell to Columbia three weeks ago, Garrett said, yes, he was disappointed. But he also admitted he felt joy for the Lions, his former teammates. He has completed 96 of 142 passes this year, and incredibly, zero interceptions.

Running Backs: The other Garrett, Judd, leads the ground game. Like Hinz, he is deceptively quick. Judd has rushed for 609 yards on 103 carries (a 5.9 average). His backfield partner, Dennis Heidt, doesn't pretend to have the skill of Judd Garrett. So Heidt just blocks, and blocks well.

Receivers: The third Garrett brother, John, a wideout, graduated last year. So Jason has had to turn to other targets. He likes to go to tight end Mark Rockefeller, son of the late Nelson Rockefeller Jr. The big Rock (he's 6-ft., 3-in and weighs 225 pounds) has caught 25 passes for 296 yards. Wideout Dave Wix is the other Tiger to beware of. He averages 15 yards a catch.

Offensive Line: Jason Garrett has been successful despite an inexperienced offensive line. Only junior center Bob Surace and senior tackle George Sarcevich saw much playing time last year. Senior tackle Kevin Coupe is not to be overlooked. He's big (6-ft., 4-in. 255-lbs.) and tough. Watch out, Harvard 'D.'

Defensive Line: A sure sign of the Tigers' defensive success is the fact that a defensive end, Rick Emery, leads the team in tackles. Emery also leads the squad in sacks with five. He had 11 last year. Rob Walker is the other defensive end. Rob Henricks and Rob Vanden Neven, a returning starter, are the defensive tackles.

Linebackers: This group is tough. Craig Yates (6-ft., 3-in. and 242 pounds) is one of the biggest linebackers on the East Coast. He has made 38 tackles--30 of them solo jobs. Franco Pagnanelli was the team's leading tackler last year but this year he has been hampered by injuries.

Secondary: These guys don't have a whole heck of a lot to be proud of either. Princeton has surrendered a load of points, including 35 to Bucknell, 30 to Holy Cross and 27 to Brown. Junior cornerback Frank Leal was an honorable mention All-Ivy choice in 1987. Free safety Mike Hires has 32 tackles.

Kicking Game: Chris Lutz had booted 19 straight field goals until he missed a 49-yarder against Columbia three weeks ago. Punter Brad Remig, an all EIBL baseball infielder last year, is averaging 33 yards per kick.

Intangibles: Princeton probably will never live down the result of three weeks ago: Columbia 16, Princeton 13. But the Tigers have lost only one game. The Tigers were the top pick of many before the season. They are still capable of capturing the Ivy crown.