Pandole Nabs Squash Tourney

Over the past three weeks, Harvard hosted a campus-wide squash tournament, open to all affiliates of the university, to determine Harvard's official British Ball squash champion. And as expected, Harvard's number one squash player, Darius Pandole, captured the tournament's title.

Pandole recorded an exciting three game victory over Will Carlin, 10-9, 9-6, 9-6 in the tourney's finals. Carlin graduated from Yale last year, where he was the number-one player for the Elis.

The first-year tournament drew 64 entrants in all.

"The biggest plus I had was that I had more softball experience than the other's in the tournament," Pandole said. "The experience definitely helped, because I wasn't as fit as I was during the season."

On his way to the finals, Pandole defeated John Schwartz (2-0), Kirk Nahara (3-0), Seth Handy (3-0), Harvard Assistant Coach Peter Dinneen (3-1) and teammate Kevin Jernigan (3-1).

Carlin took a similar path, recording victories over Lucy Dinneen (2-0), Tom Ngo (3-0), and Harvard squash team members Paul Gardi (3-0), Will Iselin (3-0) and Joe Dowling (3-0).

Three of the four semifinalists (Dowling, Pandole and Jernigan) were members of Harvard's undefeated squash team of this past year.

The Harvard men's squash team captured many awards for its fine season. Pandole, Ball and Dowling were named to the All-American and Ivy League teams, and John Bernheimer was named the Ivy League Rookie of the Year.

Dowling received the team's Most Valuable Player award, Bernheimer was voted the most improved player and Jack Polsky and Russ Ball were elected co-captains for the 1987-'88 season.

Diana Edge and Lucy Miller were elected women's team co-captains for the 1987-'88 campaign.