MAIL:

Harvard Food

To the Editors of the Crimson:

We here at Jordan K Co-op were astonished by the absence of any mention of the co-op system in "To Choose or Not to Choose" (Feb. 20, page 3), a well-researched comparison of Harvard's deplorable dining situation with that of other Ivy League colleges. We certainly agree that the Harvard system is antiquated and overpriced (14 meals for the price of 21--what a deal!). For most of us, higher quality food at a bargain price was one of the reasons we moved to the co-op. Those who live in Jordan J and K pay the regular room fee, but instead of the outrageous $2036 per year everyone else has to pay, we are charged only $415 per term, and at the end of most years get a refund of around $100. For this price we get nutritious, delicious dinners six nights a week, a brunch on Sunday, home-made bread and granola, and everything anyone wants for breakfast and lunch is kept in stock. Meat is served a few times a week, and even our committed carnivores rarely complain because the cooking is tasty and substantial. Most of us lived in Houses for part of our time at Harvard and agree that the Harvard dining system leaves almost everything to be desired. We were only sorry to see that an otherwise thorough article failed to mention a genuine option available to Harvard students here and now.