The Scouting Report

HARVARD

Quarterback: This could be the day Crimson QB Tom Yohe rewrites the Harvard single-season passing record book. If Yohe throws for more than 188 yards, attempts more than 30 passes, completes more than 20 and connects for more than two TDs in Providence, the Ivies' top passer will set new Harvard records. And this is only the seventh week of the season.

Running Backs: No doubt, the Harvard running game has been outstanding in the past two weeks. The trio of Tony Hinz (420 yds., 5.5 avg.), Dave Bunning (300, 4.8) and Bob Glatz (212, 4.9) have been scoring on big plays and picking up key yardage in the late quarters. Who knows how much the running game will improve with the return of Rufus Jones.

Receivers: Although Yohe has had great success throwing to his backfield, the Crimson has one of the best receiving corps in the Ivies. Brian Barringer leads all Crimson receivers with 24 receptions, with Bunning second with 16. Kent Lucas and Don Gajewski have been impressive at the tight end spots.

Offensive Line: Harvard's line has been opening gaping holes for the backfield and has been rather successful protecting its QB, even though Yohe's roll-out style makes it more difficult for the line to protect him.

Defensive Line: The Harvard front line has proven that it can control the pace of a game. The Crimson five, led by Captain Kevin Dulsky, Jim Bell and Don Peterson, can stop the run (they have only allowed 462 yards on the ground) and pressure the quarterback (they have sacked opposing passers 26 times).

Linebackers: Linebackers Richard Mau and Kris Thabit have also been keys to the success of the Harvard defense. Mau leads the Crimson with 40 tackles; Thabit has registered 33.

Secondary: Despite being criticized for not providing good pass coverage, the Harvard secondary has still come up with several key plays. Cornerback Frank Caprio has four interceptions, while free safety Brian Gescuk has 35 tackles.

Kicking Game: Bruce Jacob has converted all of his 23 extra points and five of his nine field goal tries for a total of 38 points. Punter Alan Hall's average has improved to 35.2 yards per kick.

BROWN

Quarterback: Bruin QB Mark Donovan has not thrown the ball much this season. The senior captain has gone to the air only 92 times, completing just 45 percent of his passes. He has thrown for 452 yards and two TDs. Donavan, however, threw for 1777 yards last year, including a three-touchdown performance in a win over the Crimson.

Running Backs: Brown likes to run, run, and run some more. In six games, Brown has run the ball 266 times for 919 yards. Junior Kirk Little leads all Bruin rushers with 405 yards and a 4.3 average. Donovan is second on the team with 241 yards, while Greg Solomon is close behind at 237. The running game is the key to the Brown offense.

Receivers: Since the Bruins do not pass that often, only one of their receivers, Jamie Simone, has caught for double figures (16). Brown will only pass when it has to. The Bruins are conservative in their pass selection, as evidenced by their 10.6-yds. per reception average.

Offensive Line: A run-oriented offense needs a good offensive line, and the Bruin line has done a consistent job. The job the line has done in protecting Donovan, however, could be better. The Bruin QB has already lost 134 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Defensive Line: Brown depends on its line, led by All-Ivy Bill Perry (26 tackles), to play tough defense, since its offense has averaged only 14.5 points per game. Yet, the line has given up 117.8 yards on the ground and has sacked opposing quarterbacks but 10 times.

Linebackers: Linebacker Kyle Wolfram is the Bruins' defense. The senior has already recorded 75 tackles and has also picked off a pass--sounds like All-Ivy credentials.

Secondary: Captain Walt Cataldo, a unanimous All-Ivy selection, and Greg Kylish anchor a tough Bruin secondary. Cataldo and Kylish have combined for 97 tackles and six interceptions. Yohe will be facing one of the better secondaries in the Ivy League.

Kicking Game: Alex Kos, who handles both the placekicking and punting duties, has converted seven of eight extra points and eight of 11 field goals for a total of 31 points. His punting average is an impressive 39.9 mark.