Batsmen Break Even

Harvard Splits Twinbills at Brown, Yale

In its first four games of action in the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League, the Harvard baseball team split doubleheaders at Yale and Brown this weekend, winning the nightcap against the Elis and the opening game against the Bruins.

Harvard is now 6-4 overall, with a 2-2 record in the EIBL.

Yale 3, Harvard 0

In the opener in New Haven, Harvard managed only four hits off Bulldog pitcher Bob Shoop, who raised his record to 5-2 with his fourth complete game of the season.

But Crimson hurler Doug Sutton, in his first loss against two wins, was just as sharp (if not more so), giving up just five hits and one earned run.

Yale scored its unearned runs in the third inning, when Captain Kevin Moran--capitalizing on two previous Harvard errors--stroked an RBI single to right field. Jim Slezak, the Eli runner on second base, slid home and barely beat first baseman Frank Morelli's relay throw to the plate.

Moran scored the team's second run on a basehit to left field by Jon Saadey.

Although Harvard put its first runner on in five out of the seven innings, two double plays and a fine play by left fielder Slezak enabled Shoop to maintain his shutout.

With Crimson players Chris McAndrews and Mike Pakalnis on base in the seventh, Morelli launched a shot to deep left field--deep enough to draw the Crimson bench out of its dugout in anticipation of a game-tying homer.

But Slezak sprinted back, lunged, and grabbed the ball in mid-air on the warning track.

Morelli's hit was one of the few that Eli fielders had to chase; most Crimson connections, although well-hit, went right into Bulldog gloves.

Bob Kay and Paul Vallone, for instance, made solid contact with Shoop's pitches, but their trajectories were driven directly to Yalie out-fielders.

The 3-0 loss represented the Crimson's first shutout since early 1983.

Harvard 6, Yale 5

The Crimson ended its temporary scoring drought by tallying three runs in the first inning of the nightcap, but it took a single by Kay in the eighth to win the game for the visitors.