Skiers Compete at Haystack

Seven Qualify for Division I Championships

The Harvard men's and women's skiing teams finished third and fourth respectively at the Division 2 Championships this past weekend at Mt. Haystack in Vermont.

Leading the men's team was alpine skiier Per-Arne Weiner as he nabbed a second place finish in slalom and seventh in giant slalom. Also helping the Crimson cause were Dan Carey (ninth), Drew Harmon (10th), and John Seybold (11th) in nordic skiing. The three later teamed together to win the relay.

The men overcame a three-point lead held by MIT in the first of two days of competition as they squeaked by the Engineers to hand them their first relay loss of the year.

"They all skiied extremely well," Coach George Weir said of his relay team, "and they all had to in order for us to win."

The women were led by nordic skiers Manya Deehr (first), Kirsten Berggren (third), and Joy Clendenning who finished fifth. These same three combined to win the relay race for the Crimson.

Seven skiers (Weiner, Deehr, Berggren, Clendenning, Carey, Harmon, and Seybold) qualified to go on to the Eastern Division I Championships to be held this weekend at Middlebury, Vermont. Weiner will compete in Alpine while the other six will compete in nordic and race as the men's and women's relay teams. "I am happy to go to Middlebury," Weiner said, "but I would rather if the whole team would be able to go."

Even though all the skiers will not compete, "This is the most skiers we have sent to the Championship," Coach Weir said. "Last year we sent five and this year we are sending seven."