The Scouting Report

HARVARDEDGE  UMASS QUARTERBACK: Brian White is first Crimson quarterback in years to return with season's experience under belt. Started slowly a week ago, but has confidence. Look for him to open it up today. Can run and pass. Knows Multiflex.  Even  QUARTERBACK: Senior Jim Someone will take over for freshman Dave Palazzi, who suffered a shoulder separation last weekend against Holy Cross. Simeone has a strong arm but doesn't pose the same type of rushing threat Palzazzi did. RUNNING BACKS: Robert Santiago might be the best in the league, but he picked up only 48 yards a week ago. He'll be the key if Harvard has a shot today. George Sorbara, Chris Ridout, Rufus Jones and Lamont Greer all have speed and give the Crimson its best ground attack in years. Squad's best area.  *  RUNNING BACKS: Fullback Al Neri has averaged exactly four yards per carry, picking up 209 yards in three games. Speedster George Barnwell plays tailback. Expect the Minutemen to run. They've run more than twice as often as they have passed. RECEIVERS: Restic will shuffle his receivers, with Chuck Shirey--who also handles the punts--getting the starting nod. Lots of speed here, but ability is questionable.  Even  RECEIVERS: Flanker John Crowley is the leading receiver among a corps that is adequate but seldom-used. That might change this week with Simeone in the lineup. Inexperienced sophomore Tom Cioppa is the split end. OFFENSIVE LINE: Only George Kostakos returns from last year's starting unit. This group had difficulty getting untracked last weekend. This is the squad's biggest question mark and potentially its biggest problem.  UMASS  OFFENSIVE LINE: The Minutemen's strong point, with a line that has an average weight of almost 250 lbs. Sophomore center Pete Montini is the lightest, at 240, but he just might be the best. This is the key to UMass's fortunes. DEFENSIVE LINE: No starters return from last year's team, and that could mean big problems for Harvard against a very big UMass offensive line. There's some talent among the new faces, but little depth.  UMASS  DEFENSIVE LINE: The leader of this group that resembles a wall is nose guard Mike Dwyer. The senior leads an experienced 3-4 unit that has plenty of depth, plenty of size and plenty of speed. LINEBACKERS: The defense's strong point. Captain Brent Wilkinson leads this group, with returnees Scott Collins and Larry Bean providing strong support.  UMASS  LINEBACKERS: Freshman inside linebacker John McKeown (36 tackles) leads a hard-hitting linebacking group. Against Holy Cross a week ago, the was the game's MVP as UMass became the first school to keep the Crusaders from scoring a touchdown this year. SECONDARY: Starters Cecil Cox and Ken Tarczy return from last year's squad, but today this group might spend more time defensing the run than the pass. Had three interceptions last weekend.  UMASS  SECONDARY: Senior cornerback Chris Wood leads this area, which includes three seniors and one junior. In three games, Wood has two interceptions. This group is better against the run than the pass, so look for White to open things up. KICKING GAME: Punter-placekicker Rob Steinberg converted seven PATs last weekend. Had a 37.2 average a week ago. Needs one point to become tenth all-time leading scorer among Harvard kickers.  Even  KICKING GAME: Silvio Bonvini (3-6 field goals, 10-10 PATs) handles the placekicking. The punter is Dimitri Yavis. Both are freshmen. COACHING: Joe Restic, now in his 15th year, needs one win to become Harvard's alltime winningest coach. Known for ingenuity--read--Multiflex.  Even  COACHING: Bob Stull will be facing the Crimson for the first time. Now in his second year at UMass, Stull is 5-9. Former offensive coordinator at Washington for Don james. Very well respected. Good offensive mind.