YALE

How good will Yale be?

No one really knows, but at least the Elis can't be much worse than they were last year.

A year ago, Yale suffered through the worst football season in its distinguished 111-year history, winning just one game and losing nine.

Critics blamed everyone and everything within 100 miles of New Haven, but the fact remains that no one knows for sure why the Ivies' most dominant team of the late '70s has lost more league games in the last two years (10) than it did from 1974 to 1981 (nine).

Columbia should take over the Bulldogs' position as the official doormat of the Ivy League this year, but the fact remains that Yale probably lacks the talent to win very many games.

So although it's bound to get better in New Haven, don't expect a vast improvement.

Penthouse magazine surely doesn't. After surveying every college football team in the country, the publication concluded that the 13th-worst squad in the land resides in New Haven.

Penthouse wrote: "It's always difficult to predict who'll finish last in the Ivy League because, let's face it, folks, the Ivy League is for amateurs."

Well, folks, the amateur holding the way in New Haven is returning junior quarterback Mike Curtin, who last year showed flashes of brilliance, but never too many at the same time.

Curtin's backup is almost sure to come from 1983's freshman team, last year's reserves Mike Luzzi and Mike Cyr having been switched to wingback and defensive back, respectively.

The brightest spot on offense is at wide receiver, where last year's leading pass catcher, Kevin Moriarty, returns. Other than that, however, there are big question marks at both running back positions and all along the offensive line.

Meanwhile, the defense returns seven starters from the unit that asked fourth in the league a year ago. Middle guard John Zenieski, linebacker Ardel McKenna and safety Bob Dooley are legitimate. All-Ivy defenders, and highly souled Carmen lineque, who sat out last season with a shoulder injury, is also back at one linebacker spot.

In placekicker Bill' Moore and punter Hank Eaton, the Bulldogs may have the best kicking duo in the Ivies. Both starters last year, Moore--who holds the Yale record for a field goal (52 yards)--and Eaton alone could keep the Bulldogs in several games.

The biggest point in Yale's favor, though, may be the Bulldogs' new underdog role and Coach Carm Cozza's reputation.

The winningest coach in Yale football history, Cozza enters his 20th year amidst speculation that it will be his last. Surely, Cozza has to be worth a few more victories, and surely his team will try to let him go out a winner.

THE CUBE PREDICTS: Sixth