HARVARD

Of the eight Ivy League schools, six will enter the football season with a definite starting quarterback.

Only Harvard and Columbia are still searching, and if you're Harvard, that's not great company.

But that' the situation, and it could very well stay that way for some time to come.

Let's just point out, however, that if the starting qb's not apparent by the seventh game of the season, then at least we'll all know it's been a normal fall.

For the third year in a row, the Crimson's first-string signal-caller is a mystery man. Speculation focuses on junior Brian White, who backed up two different starters last year before being sidelined with an arm injury, and senior Dennis Vecchi, fresh from the j.v.

White brings a strong arm and a superb ability to run the ball, while Vecchi brings poise and more versatility to the Multiflex, Harvard's vaunted offense.

No matter who starts, he'll have good company in the backfield, especially in senior Mark Vignali and junior Rob Santiago.

That due could end up to be the Ivies' finest one-two backfield, and could prove the keys to keeping Harvard in the hunt for at least a piece of its third straight league crown.

Vignali, Santiago and the rest of the Crimson squad will run right, and that'll be no accident. Because at right tackle is senior Roger Caron, a legitimate All-American candidate and pro prospect.

Alongside Caron returns fellow senior Mike Pascucci at right guard. And senior Sam Jensen is back at center, giving the Crimson as formidable a right side of the line as there is in the Ivy League.

That's the good news for a Harvard squad that's looking for its first outright Ivy title since 1975. The defense is the bad news.

The Crimson must replace eight defensive starters from last year and must do it with a bunch of virtual unknows. If Harvard Coach Joe Restic and his crew succeed in this area, it could be the most miraculous thing they've pulled off since they've been here.

The biggest task will be replacing graduated linebackers Joe Azelby and Andy Nolan--both three-year starters--and then finding a defensive tackles to line up opposite senior standout Barry Ford.

Not all's bad on the defense, however, because three veterans return to the backfield. Juniors Ken Tarczy and K.C. Smith saw a lot of playing time a year ago and will line up at cornerback and adjuster, respectively.

At the other corner returns senior Brian Bergstrom, who had a team-high three interceptions last year.

Problems, should they arise, will come in the form of injuries to the defensive line, where the Crimson's talent seldom goes deeper than the second string.

THE CURE PREDICTS: Second