Big One at the Big Three

Women Tracksters Topple Yale

There are days when a track team relies on the performances of individual stars, but there are also times when a team as a whole does well.

When a squad wins the 880-yd relay and places second and first (respectively) in the one and two mile relays, one can't argue with the depth of talent and strength of the whole team.

The Harvard women's track squad did exactly that this past weekend at the Gordon Indoor Track, competing in the Big Three Track Championships against Princeton and Yale The Crimson eventually won the meet with 51 points. Yale placed second with 48 points and Princeton third with 35.

Alice Neubauset sigrid Gabler. Theresa Moore, and Kathryn Busby began the Crimson's victorious relay performance by sprinting to a convincing 880-yd win in 1:43.36 a Harvard record.

"Out handofts were perfect," said an excited Moore. "We've been improving consistently Lam psyched for the Heptagonals as I think we'll give em all a good shot."

The Yale squad was quick to pay back in kind however as it outran Harvard in the mile relay by 2,43 seconds, finishing in 3:54.59. But when the Crimson's Eva Anderson. Kate Wiley and Pattricia and Grace deFries took command of the two-mile relay Yale and Princeton were left to fight for second place. The Harvard track sters completed the rut in a speedy 9:06.9.

Dense Pack

The solidity of the Crimson squad was manifested by the fact that in the three non-relay events won by Harvard, the victors were three relay members.

Grace deFriers won the 800 meter race in a swift 2 11.50 Busby ran into first place in the 200 meters in 25 82 seconds And Wiley out-lought Margaret Wynne of Yale in the 3000 meters with a fleet 9:23.40.

Asked who he feared the most next weekend at the Heptagonals--where all the the Ivy Schools. Army and Navy will compete--Crimson Coach Frank Haggerty said that Yale and Princeton will once again be difficult to beat, but that Army will probably be the real test.

"Army is loaded in the sprints and the jumps, but they don't have our distance runners," comment a hopeful Haggerty.