Yale Nukes Harvard, 30-27; Penn Left Atop the Ivy Pile

A visiting Yale squad upset Harvard, 30-27, before more than 40,000 fans today in the Stadium.

The Bulldogs scored The Game's winning points on a fourth down, 1-yard leap by sophomore Led Macauley with less than 5 minutes to play.

The touchdown came after Harvard had stopped the Elis on three plays from inside the 10, and just one series after the Crimson had field off a furious Bulldog scoring attempt.

As a result of Yale's come-from-behind victory in The Game--its first win over Harvard since 1981--the two squads tied for second place in the Ivy League, both finishing 5-2.

The University of Pennsylvania, meanwhile, became the League's first undefeated champion since Dartmouth did it in 1970, by toppling Cornell, 24-0, in Ithaca, New York.

Yale's win over Harvard today didn't look likely from the way the game started.

On its third play from scrimmage the Crimson struck. Quarterback Brian White hit tailback Mark Vignali with Harvard's longest touchdown pass of the year (35 yards) for the opening score. Rob Steinberg added the point after, and at 3:41, Harvard led 7-0.

Just two and a half minutes later, the Crimson got the ball back on the Yale 15 when Eli punter Hank Eaton fumbled the snap.

Vignali got the call from Harvard Coach Joe Restic, and after rumbling up the middle for 12 yards on the first play, he swept in from the 3 on the next play for his--and Harvard's--second score.

Steinberg's extra point put Harvard up 14-0, 5-48 into the game.

Yale got its first big break midway through the first stanza when Crimson punt returner Chuck Shirey fumbled a kick and Eli McKenna covered the ball at the Harvard 25.

Yale capitalized with a 7-play drive, capped by Paul Spivack's 3-yard-scoring scamper off left tackle at 12:25.

With time winding down in the first quarter, the Elis continued to take advantage of Harvard mistakes.

Harvard sophomore wingback George Sorbara fumbled Bill Moore's low, line-drive kickoff after the visitors' first score.

Four plays later, Moore connected on a 34 yard field goal into the wind, cutting the Harvard lead to 14 to with 33 seconds left in the quarter. Harvard had built its 4-point lead despite the fact that Yale had the ball for almost the entire 15 minutes (Yale, 12:39, Harvard, 2:21).