Women's Basketball

Sports Wrap

The popular question floating around college campuses these days is, "Can there be a winner in a modern war?" Last night's battle at West Point reveals that, while the books may pronounce Army a 45-38 victor, there were only losers in the Harvard-Army women's basketball game.

Neither team performed well enough to dominate, allowing the lead to switch several times throughout the game. Shooting percentages sank to about 30 percent for both teams and the ball changed possession with the frequency of a cheap hand radio. Although neither team really won. Army lost the first half, while Harvard lost the second half by more.

Harvard shot an unimpressive 31 percent from the field and sunk only three of 11 free throws during the first half, enough to give the cagers a 19-16 edge going into the locker room. While Crimson shooting may have been bad. Army shooting was worse: The cadets hit a meager 26 percent and scored on only two of six foul shot attempts.

Army returned after halftime to prove to five enlightened college students that R&D investments can pay off. The Cadets shot with improved range and accuracy to sink the first three baskets of the second half, taking a 22-19 lead.

But this assault forced Harvard to counter with an attack of greater magnitude: The Crimson scored the next four baskets, including two Kate Martin lay-ups: Harvard led, 29-22. In turn, Army upped the attack by one and totaled five direct hits on the Crimson basket to retake the lead.

Cindy Clapps brought Harvard within a single point, but the Crimson never regained control.

The Cadets sank four free throws and with less than a minute to play led by seven, 43-36; the Crimson managed just one more basket.

Clapps was the only Harvard player to enter double figures, scoring 10 points and pulling down 10 rebounds. Elaine Holpuch followed with eight in each category, though she went 0-for-5 at the line.

The cagers' record fell to 5-15 with the loss, which was their seventh straight.

THE NOTEBOOK: Tonight Harvard tips-off at Cornell, the last team to fall to the Crimson--more than a month ago.