Keeping Track . . .

More than 75 Harvard students and faculty members this week gathered to serenade Corporation members with songs urging Harvard to divest from companies that make nuclear weapons. But apparently none of the seven men were on hand to hear the musical appeal.

The protesters sang and held candles underneath the windows of Dana Palmer House, where members of Harvard Educators for Social Responsibility--the Ed School group that organized the vigil--said they believed some Corporation members were staying.

The Corporation members were in town for a Board of Overseers dinner, but employees at Dana Palmer House said none of the group's members were staying in the building.

* * *

Harvard ran a small surplus in the fiscal year ending June 30, 1982, overcoming a poor investment climate, a stagnant economy, and a drop in federal support for student aid and research, the University's annual financial report showed.

The report, released early this week, stated that a massive infusion of capital from the $350-million Harvard Campaign as well as high yields from bonds and other short term instruments in Harvard's endowment enabled the University to finish about $400,000 in the black.

* * *

Harvard doctors have entered into a partnership with MIT and IBM to help develop what many experts say is the most revolutionary method of disease diagnosis ever devised.

Researchers at the Harvard-affiliated Brigham and Women's Hospital (BWH) will receive $1.9 million from IBM over the next five years to refine the technology which may lead to dramatic break-throughs in cancer prevention, heart disease, and a variety of disorders affecting the brain and nervous system.

* * *

Three economists, including a current Harvard junior faculty member, accepted tenure offers from the University this week, in an unprecedented boon for the department.

But Associate Professor Olivier Blanchard confirmed that he has accepted tenure from MIT, Harvard's long-time rival in economics.

Theorist David Kreps, economic historian Jeffrey G. Williamson and international trade specialist Jeffrey D. Sachs '76 will all join the Faculty in the fall, pending routine Corporation approval. At the same time, Lawrence I. Summers, a public finance specialist whom Harvard lured away from MIT last spring, will assume a tenured post in the department.

* * *

The Department of Cellular and Development Biology (CDB) has offered tenure to a leading neurobiologist who intends to decide within several months whether to leave his tenured position at Stanford University to come East.

CDB's offer to Corey Goodman reflects the department's effort to bridge the gap between its two disciplines, physiology biochemistry and genetic expression. Harvard biologists said this week.