Epps Denies Spartacist Group Permit to Distribute Leaflets

Archie C. Epps III, dean of students, recently refused to issue a permit allowing the Harvard Friends of the Spartacist Youth League (FSYL), a group of undergraduates sympathizing with the communist organization, to distribute pamphlets in University dining halls.

"Epps has singled us out for harassment," Alison K. Spencer, a member of the Cambridge Spartacist Youth League, said yesterday.

The FSYL which is officially recognized by the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life, has distributed leaflets in dining halls many times in the past, but permits are valid for only one week.

Epps said he denied the group permission to leaflet because they had no official representative. He said he had believed the president of the group resigned several weeks ago.

Communication Breakdown

But the president, Thomas H. Gordon '83, said yesterday he told Epps several weeks ago he planned to resign as an officer for "personal reasons," but later changed his mind.

"It should be clear that I have not resigned," Gordon said: He added that he sent Epps a letter yesterday informing the dean he is still the president of the organization.

Temporary Effect

Epps said yesterday the incident will not jeopardize the FSYL's status as a recognized student organization. The group may reapply for permission to leaflet as soon as it can produce evidence that it has an official representative, he added.

The FSYL is not officially affiliated with the regular Boston-area organization, the Spartacist Youth League, Spencer said, adding. "It's a pretty loose organization at Harvard. We've always done the minimum to get official recognition."