Keeping Track

Keeping Track will appear from time to time in The Crimson with short items of conceivable interest to Harvard and Cambridge residents. Suggestions and comments are welcomed. Compiled by Jim Hershberg.

* * *

Elections for freshman representatives to the Student Assembly got underway yesterday, and 400 freshman had already cast their votes as of last night after dinner, Peter I. Ohtaki '83, the Lowell House representative in charge of running the polls, estimated.

Voting continues today, with the polls open at the Union during lunch and dinner. A total of 34 students are competing for the 21 available slots. Except for Dudley House and the West Yard, all of the Yard's six "districts" offer contested races, and pundits predict that the closest results will come in the Union elections, where ten students are up for four seats.

* * *

Who owns Cowperthwaite St. (bailiwick of Dunster and Mather Houses)? Who owns Winthrop St.? Give up?

Well, thanks to the Cambridge City Council the answer to these burning questions may soon be known. City councilor Kevin P. Crane '73 on Monday night proposed, and the Council adopted, an inquiry into the street's histories. At stake could be several Harvard parking spaces, and perhaps snow removal along the disputed roadways.

* * *

Harvard observers interested in catching a glimpse of the Reagan administration's world view may wish to note two upcoming seminars sponsored by the Center for Science and International Affairs.

Next Wednesday, the number-three man in Alexander Haig's State Department will be at the Harvard-Kennedy School of government (HKSG, to avoid confusion) in an appearance jointly sponsored by the CSIA and the Center for International Affairs. Walter J. Stoessel, the undersecretary of state for political affairs and a former aide to Henry Kissinger '50 visits K-School Room 280 at 4 p.m., October 7.

And on October 21, the second-highest ranking U.S. intelligence official, Adm. Bobby Ray Inman, discusses "Arms Control Challenges in U.S. Intelligence." Inman, former head of the super-secret National Security Agency and now deputy director of intelligence under William J. Casey, is set to appear in Coolidge Hall, Room 2, at 4 p.m.

* * *

And speaking of the National Security Agency (whose existence was classified for ten years even though it had several thousand employees)...yesterday was career-opportunity time for undergraduates interested in NSA jobs. For at least the second year in a row, the agency, which now advertises openly even in places like The Crimson, is recruiting at Harvard.

The agency has scheduled interviews later this month at the Office of Career Services and Off-Campus learning. Charles Raduzo, manager of the NSA's New England recruitment office, seeks candidates with knowledge of electrical engineering, physics, computer sciences, math, and Slavic, Near Eastern, and Asian languages.

Yesterday, however, about six undergraduates who took advantage of an invitation circulated to Math concentrators received a sneak preview. Harold Masters of the NSA interviewed them at the Science Center yesterday, in search of, the invitation said, math undergraduates and graduates to help "define, formulate and solve complex, communications-related problems."

NSA interviews are not open to Canadians or other foreign nationals living in the U.S.

* * *

President Reagan's 1982 budget took effect yesterday.