Kiely and Epps to Join Review Of Student-Faculty Committees

Robert J. Kiely, master of Adams House and Archie C. Epps III, dean of students, will serve on a committee to examine student-faculty committees and suggest changes in College governance.

Joseph F. McDonough '81 and Natasha Pearl '82, representatives to the Student Assembly, and Elizabeth E. Ryan '81, a member of the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life (CHUL) will join Kiely and Epps. The students will meet today with Dean Fox to discuss how many faculty members have agreed to serve on the review committee.

Fox agreed this fall to set up the review committee after a year and a half of negotiations with the assemly. A list of candidates for a committee chairman, who is to be a faculty member chosen by Dean Rosovsky in consultation with the Faculty Council, is now circulating. But Fox said yesterday he will not announce the final choice until the rest of the committee is complete.

Educational Resources Group will choose a student member of the Committee on Undergraduate Education (CUE) next Thursday to represent it on the review committee.

CUE Faculty members have yet to select a representative.

Ryan said yesterday the students on the review committee will meet to discuss their approach to and aims for the group. "Right now we're still in the preliminary stages," she said.

But the committee's purpose is to research the situation more than to achieve preconceived goals, McDonough said, but he added that it is legitimate for the students to meet separately as well.

"I think when you look at the basic setup of the committee (with four Faculty members and four students) it is inherent in that structure that students and faculty will have interests that are different," McDonough said.

Fox said he expects the review committee to meet throughout the spring and fall before making recommendations to him. He added that he would then submit the group's proposals to the appropriate group, such as the Faculty Council or CUE, if necessary.

The Fainsod Committee established the current student-Faculty committees ten years ago.