The Team Spirit

The word that pops up most often in the interview is "amazing." She calls it "the best thing I've had at Harvard so far." And she's not the only one.

For J.V. field hockey player Amy Spalding. Harvard's Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) has changed the way she plays field hockey.

"I had just gone through a time of wondering whether I should stay on the team," she says. "Somehow having that fellowship just gives me the energy to keep going and try all the time. For some reason it gives a strength or force to just go out and do it," she adds.

Between 15 and 20 people meet every Sunday night in the Feer Room at Winthrop House for prayer, singing and, most important of all, discussion of the specific problems faced by Christians playing sports at Harvard.

Two students started FCA three years ago, officially as a branch of the Harvard Radcliffe Christian Fellowship (HRCF). FCA emphasizes open discussion more than the larger, structured HRCF, because the athletes say they need close interaction to grow as Christians. "Who wants to sit in a group of 12 people and listen to someone talk? It would be as bad as tutorial." Elaine Holpuch, who plays center on the women's basketball team, says.

FCA members describe their shared attitudes about sports much the way a coach would characterize the ideal team spirit. They say they play to win, but winning isn't the most important thing in their lives. They say they want to do well individually, but only because it will help the team as a whole. And they emphasize they want to emulate Christ in their athletics.

Christ in a football helmet?

"I think our emphasis is that we will be Jesus Christ's representatives even--or especially--on the football field," wide receiver Rich Horner says. "It's strange for me to think of Christ as a businessman or in a lot of other contexts as well. We're not all called to be ministers."

But acting Christ-like isn't easy, Holpuch, a second-year member of FCA, says. "In general, to be an athlete you have to have almost a conceited belief in your own abilities, so it's hard for people to recognize they need God." she says. Recognizing that her athletic prowess came from God makes her confident but humble at the same time.

Defensive halfback and group leader John Casto says FCA is an easy first step for looking for Christian support at Harvard. "I relate more easily to athletes: they're more my type of people," he says, adding. "You notice a lot of athletes have friends who are athletes."

As many as 15 football players or about 20 per cent of the team, attend Sunday night meetings and pray before the games--up from only two players last year.

Casto explains. "Other people on the team see us praying and they come up and ask about it. I've really been surprised at the people that have come of the woodwork."

Laxwoman Charlotte Worsley says the FCA's prominent football players are the group's big drawing card for men. Women, who find it easier to acknowledge their Christianity, would come to meetings anyway, she adds.

"John, Tony (Cimmarrusti) and Rich are all really respected on the football team. It enhances guests' impressions to have them involved in the group," she says. "The way FCA is structured I would never see a woman as head of it."

Someone who is prominent is more likely to be listened to by people." Horner says. "And I don't see that as wrong. If you don't really listen, it's hard to make an intelligent decision whether it's true or not."