News Shorts

Dunster Renovations

Workers will complete the $32,000 renovation of the Dunster House court-yard--a renovation that has temporarily transformed the area into a mass of mud, bricks, and growling machines--in about two weeks, a spokesman for the construction and landscaping company renovating the courtyard said yesterday.

The renovation, proposed early this summer by the masters of Dunster House and the Department of Buildings and Grounds, did not begin until two days before the arrival of the students.

Diane McGuire, landscape architect for the Department of Buildings and Grounds said yesterday the renovation will "make the paths where the students walk more functional." She added, "the existing paths were too narrow and going in the wrong directions."

The courtyard will also include a brick-terraced sun-deck area for outdoor dining and a new landscape of shrubs, flower beds and triangular areas of grass. Last year the Dunster courtyard was almost totally devoid of grass until two weeks preceding commencement.

The renovations yesterday drew mixed reactions from Dunster House residents yesterday.

"When I first walked into the courtyard for the first time last month, it looked like the site of a nine-on-the-Richter-scale earthquake, but I have to admit the courtyard has come a long way since then," a Dunster House junior said. "I've always been a big backer of the Vorenberg's," he added.