Classical

WEDNESDAY

7:45 p.m. in Sanders Theatre. A concert by the Harvard Glee Club, President Bok. President Horner, and Dean Rosovsky. The Glee Club will sing "God Save Our President" by Gounod, various Renaissance motets, Loch Lomond or such like, and many football songs with vigorous four hands piano accompaniment. The Presidents and the Dean of the Faculty will provide non--musical commentary during the breaks. The Glee Club can be heard to better advantage during the fall, not the others. Free.

That's about it for concerts this week. Harvard's musical groups haven't been hanging around this summer preparing for freshman week. For those interested in producing, rather than absorbing, music there are a few occasions of note.

Today from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. and 6-9 p.m. you can perform on your flute, clarinet, oboe, english or french horn, bassoon, tenoroon or other wind-related instrument for representatives of the Harvard Marching, Concert and Jazz Bands. Chances are if you can simultaneously walk and produce tones in most of the standard pitches you will be accepted into one or more of these organizations. As you probably know, bands are like regular orchestras except they have masses of clarinets sitting in the violin section, bassoons for cellos, and so on. Percussionists also welcome. Also on Wed. at the same times, and Tues., Thurs. and Fri. 10 a.m.-5 p.m., 7-9 p.m. In the band room behind the Freshman Union.

The various choruses are holding auditions in Sever 11 today and all week (except Thursday) from 2-5 p.m. and today and Sunday from 7-9 p.m. After shaking your hand vigorously in the Glee Club tradition, F. John Adams will probably ask you to sing some scales and sightread something while he plays along at the piano. Prior experience and a mellifluous voice aren't necessary; some amount of musical sense is. The Glee Club only accepts men, the Choral Society women, the Collegium Musicum both. Various of these choruses will be performing in Symphony Hall (Beet-hoven's 9th with the BSO and Seiji Ozawa), Buffalo (Stravinsky's Symphony of Pslams with Michael Tilson Tohomas), and Europe, so this might be a good year to join.

The Harvard-Radcliffe Orchestra and the Bach Society Orchestra have openings for all instrumentalists, especially and chronically for string players. Bach Society Wed., thurs., and Sat. 10 a.m.-5 p.m., H.R.O. next week. The way these things usually go, everybody shows up for the last day of auditious, so if you want to catch the conductor in a good humor come the first day.