MISCELLANY

Bowling. Across the river and up towards Newton a little ways, on Soldiers Field Road, rests Sammy White's Brighton Bowl and Sammy's corresponding nightclub. This last, a posh spot often featuring such acts as Dick Doherty and the Majority, and the Shittons isn't much unless you're a devoted Swinging Single--the bowling alley, however, is a different story. It's not the best in Boston, but it's the best near Harvard, and it has 48 lanes, candlepins and tenpins, and a great many pinball machines. The best times to bowl there is on Friday nights, when you get a deal called Moonlight Bowling, which means you can bowl from midnight until 2 a.m. for a fast $2.55. It's a good deal if you bowl fast; real haste can get you six or seven games plus a few warmup shots.

Fun. The best amusement park around is Paragon Park in Nantasket, and the best time to go there is Tuesday nights, when there's a $2.95 fiat rate for as much amusement as you can handle. The deal doesn't include rides on the new Indy 500 out the Indy--a new-fangled car-racing machine--should be avoided anyway in favor of Bumper Cars, the best thing at the Park.

Weirdos. Another great thing about the Square is that it attracts unusual people. At any given time, in fact, you can walk through the Square and see someone who is extremely bizarre, intelligent, harmless, and possessed of a burning desire to talk to you about their theory of existence or some such thing. Just look around and you'll find them--perhaps in the course of an active summer you'll get to meet all the great ones, Clampman I and Clampman II, the Sheik, the Vanishing Desperado, the Sun Myung Moon people, Ms. Armageddon, and all the rest.