Tom Columns

Bruins Hit The Big Time

The Brown radio announcer was on his feet in the press box, screaming into the mike in front of him: This is the greatest victory for the Bruins in the last decade, and probably in their entire football history. They've done the impossible. The clock is counting down--ten, nine, eight..."

With most of the fans at Harvard Stadium on the verge of either freezing or passing out, the final seconds ticked away in last year's Ivy League Upset Of The Year. The scoreboard read Brown 10, Harvard 7 as the Crimson's hope of an undefeated Ivy season and the dreams of a match-up with unbeaten Yale the next week were crunched beneath an awesome Bruin defense on a cold, November afternoon.

If the scene on the field wasn't bad enough, then the image of students in Providence rejoicing as the good news came over the radio (delivered by a maniacal announcer) was enough to prompt nausea in even the strongest Harvard supporter.

As everyone now knows, the good guys eventually won out when they came up with their won upset against Yale to gain half of the Ivy crown. But at that moment, 3:45 EDT November 18, 1974, things were looking pretty grim.

Apparently, the idea that the rest of the Ivy League is supposed to get this season is that Brown University is here to stay as an Ivy football power. And there is more to that than meets the eye.

On October 19th of last year, Brown lost a tough match with Dartmouth by a 7-6 count. That was the last time the mighty Bruins lost an Ivy League game. Since then the record has been an impressive 8-0-1, an unbeaten string which will almost definitely continue into 1976 unless 1) Harvard pulls off the big upset today, or 2) Columbia manufactures a minor miracle next week.

Reviewing Brown University's heritage of never winning anything and always choking in the big games, it is difficult for most Ivy observers to accept the Bruin footballers as one of the powers-that-be. Nine consecutive games without a loss is a start; a win today, if they get it, and the Ivy crown that goes along with such an occurance would be definitive evidence for such a position.

It is also worth nothing that things are particularly alive down in Providence today, just as they were in Cambridge last year as Harvard closed in on an Ivy League title. A great deal is riding on today's collision of Ivy League powers, including the psychological well-being of an entire city in Rhode Island.

The Bruins appear to have finally hit the big time, immortalized by an appearance in a televised championship game. Whether they are worthy of that renown will be answered in a few hours.

Conjuring up the same spirits which led me to predict the Princeton Tigers by a 23-20 score last week, here are this week's victors:

PENN-COLUMBIA--The Lions prove that they are actually a football team and that the Cornell game was not a fluke. Upset in New York. Columbia 28, Penn 20.

DARTMOUTH-CORNELL--It seems impossible that the Big Red is as bad as it seems, but as they saying goes, things have to get better in Ithaca because they really can't get worse. That doesn't mean Cornell will win today's football game. On the contrary: Dartmouth 21, Cornell 20.

YALE-PRINCETON--If the fellows who played football for Princeton in the first three quarters of last week's game show up for today's effort, Yale will have a rough go of it. But the Tigers must be wondering about that fourth quarter collapse. Yale 24, Princeton 14.

HARVARD-BROWN--If there is any justice in this world, then Harvard fans have little to worry about. Unfortunately, as my Economics section man keeps saying, things don't always work out the way they should. The season may very well come to an abrupt end today, but a sentimental vote is in order. Harvard 19, Brown 17. The Sports Cube Predicts...   Harvard-Brown  Dartmouth-Cornell  Penn-Columbia  Yale-Princeton  Last week's record  Season's record  Season Pct. Mike Savit  Brown 22-20  Dartmouth 31-18  Columbia 29-22  Yale 23-17  4-0  27-7  .794 Bill Stedman  Harvard 25-21  Dartmouth 18-8  Columbia 17-15  Yale 22-21  2-2  25-9  .735 Andy Quigley  Harvard 48-0  Dartmouth 20-10  Penn 18-9  Yale 20-19  3-1  24-10  .706 Jim Reinig  Harvard 20-19  Dartmouth 22-10  Columbia 16-14  Yale 21-17  3-1  23-11  .76 Tom Aronson  Harvard 19-17  Dartmouth 21-20  Columbia 28-20  Yale 24-14  4-0  22-12  .647 Amy Sacks  Harvard 27-14  Dartmouth 31-14  Penn 14-10  Princeton 21-19  2-2  20-14  .588 Staff Consensus  Harvard  Dartmouth  Columbia  Yale 18-6  141-63  .691 Chris Clark  Brown 24-17  Dartmouth 35-14  Penn 21-19  Princeton 28-21  Dean of Rhode Island Sportscasters WJAR TV-Providence