THE STAGE

Tennessee Williams's Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is still at the Loeb, they tell me, and I believe them. But since I know even less about the play than usual, I hesitate to recommend it.

On the other hand, Jason Miller's That Championship Season--at the Colonial Theater in Boston--is certainly worth seeing. When I saw it in New York a few years back, I kept thinking about this basketball star in my high school who disappeared for awhile after finally o.d.ing midway through my junior year--it was a little incongruous, since the forgotten high school basketball stars in the play are mostly pushing 40, more or less respectable, and concerned because basketball's no longer a "white man's game." Maybe as a result of this confusion, I wasn't as impressed as I now think I should have been--it's a consistently absorbing, consistently funny play, and if its portrait of middle-class despondency is a little pat (the sardonic drunk's a little hackneyed, for instance), it works beautifully on stage. I don't know what the cast here is like--there's a review on page 2.

Dale Wasserman's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest--at the New Theater just down the street--is another fine play with some similar strengths, about a Christ-figure getting himself crucified by the authoritarian Big Nurse and timid inmates of an insane asylum. I'd go with That Championship Season--it's more naturalistic and strikes even closer to home, I'd say--but maybe that's just my mood.

The Beard and Sweet Eros--recently shut down by the Cambridge police department for alleged obscenity--have stopped sending up press releases, and since I didn't use them while I had the chance, it's only fair to list them now. If the plays were of the same quality as the releases Nixon's justices may be good for something after all. Have a good summer.