Crimson Face Bruin Nine In Vital EIBL Tilt Today

The Crimson nine takes to the road this weekend with the hope of adding both Brown and Yale to its rapidly increasing list of victims.

Coach Loyal Park's squad will be at 'Providence today to face the improving Bruins, and will travel to New Haven tomorrow for an important doubleheader against the Elis.

Veteran Squad

Brown will field a veteran team, with seniors holding a majority of the starting positions. An exceptional standout on the squad, however, is junior shortstop and pro-prospect Bill Almon.

Currently, Almon sports a .379 batting average, with 5 home runs and 22 RBI s. He also leads the Bruins in stolen bases, with 9, and in runs scored, with 17.

"They have the potential to win the league," Park said yesterday. "They have a solid ballclub, and they attack the ball." Park plans to send lefty Milt Holt to the mound against the Bruin attackers today. Holt is coming off a strong three-inning stint against Tufts on Monday.

Along with Almon, the Bruin hitting attack is highlighted by senior first baseman Dave Ellsworth, who leads the club with a 442 average. Other top Bruin batmen include out fielder-third-baseman Vin Yakavonis (.366) and centerfielder Mike Cirullo (.33).

Pitching is also developing for the Brown squad. Senior Kevin Lynch shows a 2.22 ERA for his work so far this season, though he was creditd with the loss is Brown's 6-3 defeat at Princeton.

Don Huot has also performed well for the 8-7 Bruins, having worked 12 innings while allowing only three earned runs. Marshal Luther has posted a 2.61 ERA in 20 innings.

Crimson Strong

The Crimson hitters, however, have impressive credentials of their own. Joe Mackey enters today's encounter with a team-leading .470 average, including a five-for-six day against Tufts. Mackey is ably backed by the potent bats of sophomore Leon Goetz, Dave St. Pierre, Don Driscoll and Leigh Hogan.