Rock and Folk

David Bromberg. Bromberg is steadily growing from underground sensation to popular legend, spreading his humor, distinctive vocal style, and impeccable guitar wizardry from coast to coast. Bromberg used to play back-up for Jerry Jeff Walker and just about outdoes his former boss on Walker's biggest song, "Mr. Bojangles." Bromberg's own songs are marked by a winning, talking blues kind of humor. On guitar, he does everything from blues and ballads to Irish fiddle tunes. Bromberg's club concerts are reputedly not to be missed. This weekend, Cambridge gets its chance not to miss him. Thursday-Saturday, February 14-16, at The Performance Center I, 8 and 10 p.m.

Miles Davis. A critic once wrote of W. H. Auden that he wrote great poetry because he was not afraid to write a bad poem. Miles Davis is not afraid of anything; his style has gone through more changes than Richard Nixon's story on Watergate and has held up incomparably better. Still one of the leading jazz trumpeters after a long career, Miles has spawned, through his sidemen, a host of fine jazz groups. His latest transformation is on display all this week. Through Sunday, February 17 at Paul's Mall. Call 267-1300 for information.

Music Notes. Cambridge's favorite reed man, John Payne, brings his jazz band to the Orson Welles Restaurant Friday and Saturday, February 16 and 17. Balladeer Joel Zoss plays the Welles Sunday night.... Honor Thy Womanself, a concert of songs from the labor, civil rights, and feminist movements--old and new--will happen Friday, February 15 at 8 p.m. at the Unitarian Church on Washington St. in West Newton. Donations benefit the Newton Women's Coop. Call 332-1710 for information.