Racism and the Police

In October 1972, two white youths--Lawrence Largey and Thomas Doyle--were placed under arrest by several Cambridge police officers. Within hours, Lawrence Largey was found dead in his cell. A subsequent autopsy disclosed recently inflicted internal and cranial injuries.

Later that month the City Manager John H. Corcoran appointed Paul J. Liacos, Boston University Professor of Law, as his Special Assistant in order to conduct an investigation of the events concerning the Largey arrest and death.

Prof. Liacos completed his investigation in November, 1972. His recommendations were:

1) That the City Manager initiate, either himself or through any proper municipal officer or agency, the appropriate disciplinary proceedings against Officer Peter E. DeLuca; 2) That the City Manager or the Chief of Police take such disciplinary action against Officer Rudolph V. Carbone as may be deemed appropriate in light of these findings; 3) That the City Manager or the Chief of Police take such disciplinary action against Lieutenant Anthony J. Temmalb as may be deemed appropriate in light of these findings; 5) That the City Manager and the Chief of Police take such other action in regard to findings herein made as they may deem appropriate in the circumstances, including but not limited to, disciplinary proceedings, reprimands or censures of other officers herein named in regard to their failure to effectively discharge their assigned responsibilities.

City Manager Corcoran took no steps to implement the Liacos recommendations.

The present City Manager, James Leo Sullivan, has also failed to initiate any action around this issue. No Civil Service hearings have been held. No departmental Internal Affairs hearings have been convened within the police force. The Liacos Report gathers dust and all four officers remain in good standing on the Force.

In 1972 and again in 1973 police-inspired and racial colored riots occured at the Roosevelt Towers housing project, during which several residents received serious injuries.

On June 10, 1974, Councilwoman Saundra Graham sponsored a City Council resolution whose preamble stated that there is "racial friction" within the Police Department, and that Cambridge has a record of brutality against blacks."

It is interesting to note, in this regard, that until a few months ago the 250-man Cambridge Police Department had only five black members and now has only ten. There are no black sergeants, lieutenants or captains. Five black patrolmen recently instituted a civil suit against the City of Cambridge and the Police Department, charging discrimination in the recruitment and promotion procedures within the Police Department.

The complaint issued by the five black patrolmen states that: "Despite an unprecedented increase in reported serious crimes in Cambridge during the past eight years, city officials have both refused to substantially increase the number of black patrolmen and superior officers and have at the same time reduced the number of supervisory police personnel so as to avoid the promotions of the plaintiffs."

On August 15, 1974, two young men were shot to death on Mead Street. The killings followed months and months of harassment of the Price family by gangs of white youth. Mrs. Clorae Everteze, Cambridge Civic Unity Committee, Mr. Alvin Thompson, Special Assistant to the city Manager for Community Affairs and Councilwoman Graham made numerous pleas to the present and former City Manager to do something so that the Price family might live in peace.

Letters were written to Chief Reagan asking him to do his job. (Including the removal of Captain Burke's son as a participant in the continuing harassment.) The police Chief and the present City Manager were told that a tragedy was brewing. Nothing was done, and two people died needlessly.

Mr. Price is now on trial in the third district court for first degree murder of one youth and for manslaughter of the other--Jay Hugh Price, Jr.--his own son. It is supremely ironic that one week to the day before the killings occured, Mr. and Mrs. Price took the initiative to hold a hearing in the municipal clerk of court's office in order to have warrents sworn against their tormentors. No warrents were sworn and up to date not one of the white youths--all of whom are well known to the police--have been charged or arrested with anything. Not even disturbing the peace.

It is, therefore, reasonable to lay the death of Lawrence Largey, James Moree, Jay Hugh Price Jr, the Roosevelt Tower riots and injuries, the loss of Clarence Anderson's eye, and the costly civil suit by the five black policemen, at the feet of the former and the present City Manager and Police Chief Reagan.

As a consequence of this duplicity, malfesance, brutality and racism, the Coalition to Combat Racism emerged in late August 1974.