music

Rock and Jazz

Jethro Tull is back in town this weekend. The band's been hanging on for a long time so they must be doing something right. The weekend's concert is entitled "A Passion Play"; a Cartesian mind like mine assumes that Anderson and his gang will be performing stuff from the new album of the same name. Ian Anderson traditionally puts on a good show for his audience -- the way he handles his flute is a master-piece of modern erotic theater. With Livingston Taylor, Boston Garden, Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m.

Elton John is also in Boston for another go-round. His voice isn't much and his music is inoffensive at best, but he jumps around a lot and keeps the kids happy. He's probably not so bad in person if you're in the mood for a cheap imitation of good old rock and roll, especially if you get bombed out of your head by the time EJ hits the stage. Boston Garden, Tuesday at 8 p.m.

Delaney Bramlett, one half of Delaney and Bonnie, is giving a solo performance at Paul's Mall tonight through Sunday. I don't know how Delaney will do without his better half, but at least be advised that Paul's Mall has some of the best music in town, performed in the most pleasant of circumstances. (There's an admission charge plus a cover, so bring plenty of cash.) With Jimmy Buffet.

Right next door to Paul's is the Jazz Workshop, the best thing that's happened to local jazz enthusiasts since Louise Day Hicks lost her sax. Rahsaan Roland Kirk will be at the Workshop until Sunday, and if you like good jazz, make sure to go see him.

Eric Anderson is appearing at the Passim Book and Coffee Shop tonight through Sunday. Anderson is an old timer already (aren't we all), but the passing years haven't done any damage to his fine guitar playing, his mellow voice or his sweet folkish ballads. Anderson developed his talents and made his name when folk musicians still dreamed of social reform; his work is a pleasant reminder of those more optimistic times, particularly because his lyric is insightful, witty and packed with bite and punch. Shows are at 8:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. admission is $3.