Sirica Wins Award of Merit For Showing Judicial Courage

District Court Judge John J. Sirica, whose order that President Nixon surrender Watergate-related tape recordings precipitated a major constitutional crisis, was honored by the American Judges Association last night for his "manifestation of judicial courage."

After receiving the association's "Award of Merit" at the Boston Statler-Hilton, Sirica met informally with reporters and praised Archibald Cox '34, former special Watergate prosecutor, and Elliot L. Richardson '41, former attorney general.

"I've had many conferences with Mr. Cox," Sirica said. "He is a great lawyer and a great American." As for Richardson, Sirica said he was "sure Richardson felt he was doing the right thing. He is also a great American."

Asked his opinion of Nixon, Sirica said: "I think President Nixon is a great man."

Sirica declined to comment on the possible appointment of another special prosecutor to replace Cox, or on what his own actions would have been had the president not agreed to relinquish the tapes.

He did indicate that he was relieved at the president's decision. "I was hoping something dramatic would happen, and it did," he said.

Sirica also indicated that he was glad for a respite from the pressured atmosphere of Washington.

Sirica said it was a "great thrill" to be out of Washington, because "they blame me" for many of the Watergate-related crises.

"It's nice to have people like you," he said while signing autographs. "So many people throw brickbats at you. It's nice to have people say good things about you."